Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Preflop questions from King Yao book

I was looking at King Yao's starting hand actions for full table,

He recommends some of the following, Ill number them so you can comment on any and whether you play them the same at a 6 max table and how often.
Im interested as I dont do most of them, so possibly not using the button to maximum effect and let other players dominate the table who are acting before me.

1)A raise in front no other players in, consider reraise with 44-22 from CO or button.
This would include a raise from UTG.
Also gives the option of folding. Who reraises here and how often?

2)A raise from CO, no others in pot, reraise on button 66-55.

3)A raise from full table MP, so that would be 6max UTG & MP, no other players, reraise 88-77 from CO or button

4)Raise A6-A5o from CO. (I only do this rarely against tight button & blinds)

5)ATo reraise a lone CO raise.

6)A9-A7o raise 1 limper call 2+ limpers

7)reraise a CO raise with KJs

8)reraise a CO raise with A9s-A7s

If some of these are your standard plays please consider posting a hand, in particular the low pairs.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Preflop questions from King Yao book

all of these are, of course, read dependent (blinds are as important as players who have already acted). Against an unknown table of 3/6-5/10 SH:

1) never

2) I do 66-77

3) NA

4) always

5) AJo

6) If I'm in LP I'll raise 1 unknwon limper with A9o. I don't think I would ever limp A8o against unknown limpers and unknown blinds.

7) I pop KQs, fold KJs.

8) I pop A9s+.

Against unknowns most of these are probably pretty close, and don't really matter either way. The only one that really surprised me was 1.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 AM

1) 44 from the CO. 44-33 from Button. Reraise with 44 about 30% of the time from the Button only.

2) Yes.

3) Easy yes.

4) No. A7o-A8o +

5) Yes.

6) One limper, raise A8o+ from the button. Two limpers, fold.

7) Yes.

8) Yes.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:28 PM

i think the VPIPing w/ 22-44 and A6/A5 in these spots is out of line... the rest is solid.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:33 PM

1)pretty terrible as a standard. you really need to have a huge reason to be doing this and those reads are rare.

2)i do this against 35+VPIP assuming i feel comfortable against them postflop

3)yes

4)i have 80k hands from 3/6 and 80k hands from 5/10 that i analyzed once to see if i could spot leaks in my game, would you believe it if i told you that in each of those databases A6o-A2o was a loser in the CO and A4o-A2o was a loser on the button. in both databases A7o+ was a profit in the CO and A5o+ was a profit on the button. i dont know if the sample size is too small but thats quite a coincidence.

so for a long time i only raised A7o from CO and A5o from BT unless the BB was extremely tight. now i am a bit more liberal with these hands, but wouldnt raise worse than A5o from the CO in most situation. A6o is probably my cutoff and thats not even always. i think the problem with these types of hands is that they put you in a reverse implied odd situation. when you flop an ace the opponent check-folds. when you dont, they check-call their pairs and often check-fold when they miss. thats a huge way to bleed money. so if im raising, it needs to be because i have a good situation to take it down preflop. i dont want to see a postflop with these garbage cards.

5)looks good. even with 30+attsb you are ahead of his range

6)i wouldnt always call A8o-A7o against 2 limpers, it depends on how they play postflop, but sometimes yes. i isolate limpers with those hands regularly tho, but only from the CO/BT unless its A9o then from the HJ.

7)pretty sound play assuming they are high attsb

8)pretty sound play assuming they are high attsb. one thing that concerns me about this recommendation however is that if its right to reraise with A7s then it cant be wrong to reraise A8o. even i value suitedness heads up more than most people on this board but i wouldnt value it that much in this situation.

i also think suitedness goes up in value in heads up situations when less strength is shown preflop. for instance, just calling out of the blinds. the reason for this is that a checkraise shows more strength then a simple check/bet once youve 3bet preflop. suitedness in those situations gives you more folding equity then when you havent shown so much strength preflop. in most 3bet pots the action goes check/call, check/call.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:27 PM

IMO I like his ideas here, the only things I see and wanted to mention:

1.His first option is to fold these hands, but I also like his second choice, the "re-raising" option but its obviously read dependant.

6. Not so hot on calling w/ 2 limpers. If they are bad/lose play any suited Id rather raise than call. If they play alot of trash, and u give the blinds 2 random hands yet to act, u still have equity (but its marginal by about 5 percent). IF the blinds will fold, against any suited u have about 42 percent here. AGAIN this is read dependant, if they limp with good hands, are tighter players, etc it changes things.