Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: AKo hand

Numbers in brackets = Variations?

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

2combos we split with right?

Just making sure, Need to learn/confirm this stuff.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:26 AM

Yep. There are 4 combos of AK

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Lmfao, i'm a retard. Cheers
*Goes back to kindergarten*
Old 10-14-2005, 08:17 AM

So, we are behind AA, KK, QQ and JT (unlikely).
And tie with AK and ahead of AQ, KQ.

All these hands could play it like that.
I would either call the flop and raise the turn or cap the flop and call down if he leads the turn.
When he checks to me on any street I bet.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 PM

grunching (or is it grunching if newbie replies [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])
To my mind it looks good. He could easily have KQs. Given the flop action I think his hands are KQ, AK, AQ, QQ, KK. You beat 2: split with 1 and lose to QQ and KK (at this point) you still got some outs if he has QQ or KK. I would raise the turn and if he raises call down.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM

My first reaction was to cap the flop, then call down if he still leads the turn, but in thinking a little more about it, I would want to get a raise in on the turn, so I think that I would just call the flop 3-bet.

I would not think that QQ-AA goes uncapped preflop, but even if he's got QQ, you've still got 4 outs to beat that. There are just too many ways that we're ahead here for me to slow down quite yet by calling down from the turn.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM

I like either a flop cap or a turn raise (I like to mix it up as to what I do), and calling down in the face of more aggression after that.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and advice! These were very helpful! I'm starting to work on my limit hold'em game, and I think part of the art is learning to save/extract extra bets. Let me explain my reasoning (and also the result of the hand).

I forgot to mention (though I definitely should have) that my read was that UTG+2 seemed fairly tight. She was only involved in a few pots while I was at the table.

Here was my reasoning behind the hand. Given that it was a raise from EP, I was thinking she most likely had some type of premium hand (AA-JJ, AK, and maybe AQ); certainly hands like JT and KQ are possible, but I felt like these were at the lower end of the spectrum.

I raised the flop for information and after she three-bet, I sensed that I might be behind. (Especially since to three-bet she is conveying that she is confident that she can beat whatever I'm representing, and I could have many strong hands).

I was thinking that she either had a set (AA, KK, QQ -- with QQ being the most likely since I had AK), had the same hand as me (AK), or had two pair (AQ). I thought AQ was probably not so likely since it is a borderline hand to raise from early position.

I figured that raising the turn for more information seemed like an expensive proposition (since the bet size is double), and I already have information gained from the flop three-bet which suggests that I am behind most reasonable holdings.

Once she lead into me on the turn, I figured I should just call the hand down. I didn't think I should lay this down for a few reasons. First, I still have outs to improve to the best hand (though I am drawing really slim if she has AA). Second, there is also a chance she has AK resulting in a chopped pot. Third, there is a (remote) possibility that she is overplaying AQ, AJ, or some other hand. I figured these factors would give me the odds I need to justifiably call down the hand.

In the end, UTG+2 turned out to have QQ. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't raise on the turn or river, but I wasn't sure if I should have given serious consideration to folding.