Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Where to go next? Trying to improve. (NC)

[ QUOTE ]
This may be an unworkable plan if you consider the games to be too different but why do you need to 'jump' your entire playing time to a higher level?

What I mean by this is that if you are comfortable 10 tabling at $2 $4 then why not 7 table the $2 $4 and 3 table at $3 $6. You can focus 90% of your attention on the bigger games whilst only viewing the $2 $4 when a decision needs to be made. It may be that with 10 tables you are ALWAYS making decisions allowing no time to concentrate anywhere, if this is the case then you can drop the numbers of the $2 $4 games a little until you do have time.

You could even view it as the $2 $4 games subing the $3 $6 game whilst you learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I've considered doing. The thing is I am not sure how much actual concentration I could put into those higher tables. I am barely able to check if I won certain big pots because other tables are waiting for me. It's actually kind of nice that way because I have become less results oriented. I'll actually open up PT afterwards and be surprised that I had a downswing as I didn't realize it while I was playing.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is something I've considered doing. The thing is I am not sure how much actual concentration I could put into those higher tables. I am barely able to check if I won certain big pots because other tables are waiting for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm probably not the most qualified person to say this since I only 4-table, but I think playing 10-12 tables and getting better at poker are not really mutually compatible goals.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard 3/6 isn't profitable, and that 5/10 sucks. Does anyone have statistical evidence to the contrary that they would like to share with me? How do you think I would do?

[/ QUOTE ]

From first-hand experience, $3/$6 can be very profitable and $5/$10 doesn't "suck." Considering the fact that you're beating $2/$4 at a clip of more than 2 BB/100, I think that you would be fine moving up a limit to $3/$6.

Having played on Party at $2/$4, $3/$6, and $5/$10, I can say that the play is about the same, with one notable exception. The fish play just as horribly at any limit, but the good players are better as you go up in limits. It becomes important to recognize these players and respect their play while trying to make money off of the fish at the table.

I don't have the stats or other evidence to back it up (can't access my PT stats while my laptop's in the shop for repairs), but I can say that as a player of similar stats, you would do just fine moving up to $3/$6.

Because you play so many tables at once, I would recommend cutting back to between 4-6 when you first move up to $3/$6. I say this for 2 reasons. First, you're playing for 50% higher stakes than you were, so your wins, and especially losses, will be bigger. Second, by playing fewer tables at once, you can focus on the players and your play a little bit more. You may find that a particular play that was really profitable for you at $2/$4 might not work so well at $3/$6. Until you get a feel for how your game fits into $3/$6, play fewer tables so you've got less at risk and can identify these differences more easily.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you make that BB/hand graph? Something in PT i've missed?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/vi...&start=135

Click on the hyperlink in the second post. Should allow you to download a graphing program. Of course, I did this a few months ago, so I'm not sure if the link still works...
Old 10-14-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm probably not the most qualified person to say this since I only 4-table, but I think playing 10-12 tables and getting better at poker are not really mutually compatible goals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 PM

I disagree with the general thoughts here about the differences between the levels. But by all means stay at 2/4, I don't have a problem with it.