Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:11 AM

Default FD turns weak top pair... Give me a line (esp river)

Looking for guidance on all streets, esp the river.

Early in the session, no real reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: JerseyTom is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, JerseyTom completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
JerseyTom checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, JerseyTom calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">JerseyTom bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (10 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
JerseyTom???
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: FD turns weak top pair... Give me a line (esp river)

Bet flop, turn and river. How's that?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:24 AM

bet-fold i guess. strange turnplay, what was that about?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:47 PM

I would bet the flop, you have an over and a very nice flush draw, with a lot of opponents. this is a value bet if a lot of people call. Bet the turn, you have top pair. Bet the river, you have top pair. IF you c/c the flop I might c/r the turn if you think MP3 will bet again, but there is no guarantee.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't just bet every street like that!! Can you? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 04:08 PM

With 5 people still in at the river, 3 to the flush on board, and 3 broadway card on board, I'm inclined to check the river and see what happens. If there's a bet and raise, you can safely fold. If someone bets and no raise, you can call. I just don't see much point in betting out here. It seems like you're probably ahead less than 50% of the time here, so I don't see much value in betting it. In fact, I'm thinking someone called the turn because they hit a draw which they just made on the river. By checking and probably calling without a raise, at least you're inducing someone to bluff or bet a worse hand.

Also, by checking the river as the first to act you have the advantage of seeing what everyone else does. I'm thinking most of the time there's a bet and raise or a bet and multiple calls. Thus, you can save yourself a bet here.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see much point in betting out here. It seems like you're probably ahead less than 50% of the time here, so I don't see much value in betting it. In fact, I'm thinking someone called the turn because they hit a draw which they just made on the river. By checking and probably calling without a raise, at least you're inducing someone to bluff or bet a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think hero is ahead here a lot more than you're giving him credit for. A straight was raising the turn, so the only draw that got made on the river was a BDFD - and since the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] are on board and only MP3 bet the Q-high flop, the flush would have had to call the flop with no better than 3rd pair (except for MP3). So it's unlikely somebody backed into a flush.

I think this is an easy river bet/fold.

Also, with an overcard, the flop needs to be bet and probably 3-bet if there's 3 or 4 people expected to see the turn. Hero doesn't mind building a pot and it'd be a bonus to buy some K outs.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. You have a strong hand, bet it out.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet-fold i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you fold? What kind of hand do you expect to call the turn and raise the river? I think it's bet-call. And expect to win pretty often.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]