Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Chicago

U Chicago will be relatively cheap compared to the rest, yeah its not the best neighborhood but its getting better for sure. Im at Northwestern at the moment and if youre interested, Evanston is being overrun with these new luxury condos that are actually quite nice though perhaps not exactly what you were looking for. I would imagine you could get a good one for ~250k, also Im not sure about other places but there arent too many 2 bedroom houses around here. Its either apartments/condos or bigger nicer homes.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:54 AM

NorthWestern has a great reaputationfr Economics.I will probably apply there/
Old 10-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: How much would this property cost in various parts of the U.S

There are deals to be found around Chicago but the other cities are very expensive and too far from anything cheap. You could get something nice around chicago for 300K, and you could go reeealy cheap if you crossed the border into Indiana. Northeast Indiana is a dump though. Hell, all of Indiana is a dump except for NE Indpls where I live.

Indy
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I had presumed it was somewhere in the NW of U.S.A but I have seen right. I have heard that Chicago is a pretty crime ridden city. How difficult would it be for me to find a nice area to live nearby to Northwestern and/or Chicago.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM

I've lived in London, Boston and the Bay Area. There's very little difference between the three in terms of price. 700k sounds about right for what you originally requested, although your square footage in the U.S. will be greater than London.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've lived in London, Boston and the Bay Area. There's very little difference between the three in terms of price. 700k sounds about right for what you originally requested, although your square footage in the U.S. will be greater than London.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe a word you say. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not from Boston but a friend of mine went to MIT for his Ph.D. and housing there is [censored] expensive.

The (San Francisco) Bay area is maybe the most expensive place to buy a house in the US. That may not be right, but it is the first place most people would think of if you were you to ask them where the most expensive place to buy a house is.

Chicago is probably expensive too, though not as bad as any of the others I believe. Are we talking about the University of Chicago? That's supposedly in a pretty bad neighborhood. Again, never been there but that's what people say. If looking to buy a house you may want to look further out.

I would reccomend checking out a real estate website. Try www.century21.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

U of Chicago's Hyde Park Campus is in a bad part of town as previously mentioned. Your only local option would be on-campus. I would recommend living downtown and driving. I think it is under 10 miles. You can find 2 bedroom high rises right by the downtown campus for a little over $300,000. There are many good areas to live in chicago though. Anywhere near Lake Shore Drive will make your commute pretty easy if you have a car.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 PM

Just to follow up now that I have a little more time (and I am for once telling the truth [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). Unless you're planning on paying cash for your house you may be in trouble. You are unlikely to qualify for a mortgage since you don't have a US credit history. That is a much bigger deal here than it is in the UK.

If you plan on renting, you'll probably be paying $2k a month for what you want. But a problem is that many places (Boston for one) require you to earn 4x your rent in salary. So to afford that place you would need to earn $96k a year, which sounds unlikely if you're doing a PhD. Not only that but they also require first and last months rent, a month's deposit, and in Boston, a month's 'fee' (which simply disappears) in advance. So just to sign the rental agreement will cost you $8k.

Welcome to America! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM

Not that you asked, but you can buy a 2 BR house, 1000+ sq ft, with a yard, in a decent neighborhood, for less than 100k in St. Louis.

Washington University has a lot of top-tier programs. It's nice to be in grad school and not be desperately impoverished.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I had presumed it was somewhere in the NW of U.S.A but I have seen right. I have heard that Chicago is a pretty crime ridden city. How difficult would it be for me to find a nice area to live nearby to Northwestern and/or Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Northwestern is actually in Evanston which is an upscale city bordering Chicago. Definitely public trans accessible. They have a downtown campus for their business school. It is in a very nice area as well.

The only areas you really have to worry about in Chicago are the West and South sides. Unfortunately U of C is on the South side.

I go to U of C, but I'm in the evening MBA program that meets downtown about 4 blocks from Northwestern's downtown campus.