Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 08:04 AM

Default NLHE Tournament Drawing Hands

Hey folks, qustion about drawing hands in a freeze out tourneys.

In my last 2 tournaments I have had an open ended Straight Flush Draw that sucked most of my stack w/o hitting anything. I had correct pot odds to call anything and my Implied odds were huge. The problem was I had to risk most or all of my stack to call these hands. The first one I was the raiser and was reraised all in, I went for it and got no help and lost to middle pair. The second one I lost to trips (other guy had over cards - not sure what exactly what he was thinking in the huge pot), Pot odds on my all in call of over 4-1, but I had to move all in to go for it. Bad luck that both times, I basically had 4 chances (turn-river x2) at a StFl draw and got no part of it each time.

So maybe I was just blinded by the huge draws, but what are your thoughts on moving all in on just a draw instead of a pat hand? Does anyone adjust their odds because they are not willing to put their tourney on the line for a draw? I could see adding a point or to to your requirements..for instance willing to go for a flush after the flop only if your pot odds are 4-1 instead of 2-1..something like that. I dont think I made the wrong play either hand, but it does suck to get bounced out early in a tourney holding 10 high after the river shows you nothing.

I think I would rather have JayP's KKs from now on [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Spoody
Old 10-08-2003, 09:09 AM

Default Re: NLHE Tournament Drawing Hands

This is one of the reasons a lot of players would tell you not to be playing "drawing hands" to begin with. Honestly, you don't give a lot of details, but if you are in a situation where you are being put all-in on the flop you probably payed to much to see the flop in the first place.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 AM

Pot odds are less important in tournament play. Really it doesn't matter what kind of odds you are getting if you don't have enough chips to play a complete hand. The only way I would risk my whole stack is if I was first in the pot. Maybe your opponent will fold his hand and you can win right there. If he does call at least you have a chance to make your hand.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:26 AM

As said above, its all in the details. For example, early in a large tourney you will be more willing to play it by the hand odds, and take the draw. Closer to the money risking everything on a draw could be a huge real money mistake, despite having proper TC odds.

Early in a small tournament, such as a SnG, where you are always relatively "close to the money", but all the stacks are pretty much even, I think its a matter of personal preference. If the SF draw is to high cards, so even pairing up has a shot at taking it, I would defintiely play it. A lower draw it would depend on whether I was in the mood to grind it out for an hour, or would just as soon take the good odds and move on if I didnt hit.