Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 AM

Default $100+9 rebuy: What would you do? And why?

Last night, 35 minutes into the daily $45 K guaranteed at Ladbrokes. Blinds are 25/50. I'm in middle position with 1600 in chips when I pick up

A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG (a loose-aggressive maniac with two rebuys allready) raise 4xBB to 200. UTG+1 calls (1800 in chips, I have no read on him). The next two players fold, I call and the rest of the field fold behind me. Flop is

6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+1 bet minimum (50). I raise about half the pot to 400. UTG folds. UTG+1 thinks for ten seconds then goes all-in.

What would you do? And why?

D.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: $100+9 rebuy: What would you do? And why?

In theory this is an easy call, the flop is as good as a flop is ever going to be for your aces.

I repop this preflop though in this rebuy period.

However this guy is clearly representing a stupidly played set, but I still don't see a fold here.

If he had anything bar a set or AQ/ I'd be surprised.

I would say definately not KK here because he would've raised preflop, but I'd have thought you'd have raised with your aces, Why not raise preflop instead of playing a 3 way pot?

I think you have a tough decision on the flop which could have been made so much easier by just reraising preflop I'm gonna say it again.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:02 AM

the spot in the hand you're asking about is the easy part.. you gotta call there.

--

More interesting i think is how to get more money out of them... which i think would be reraising or pushing PF.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:33 AM

if I am playing any rebuy tourney I have ever played, with stacks this short, I am shoving preflop. A lot. This hand would be no exception.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 AM

The normal play would of course be to counter a preflop raise and call with a significant reraise when you hold AA. I pondered this for 15 seconds before I called. The table up to this point had been tight (with the exception of the maniac) and I exptected the rest of the field to fold behind me - which they did. The maniac would raise with anything, so I was looking to trap him in order to double up.

But he folded to my postflop raise and now I'm head to head with the other guy who puts me all-in. I'm scared of two hands, QQ and 66 (no-one in early would call a 4xBB raise with 22, even when the raiser is crazy). QQ he would've raised preflop, no question about that. Could he have called with 66? Absolutely.

But when you hold the set, why put me all at this point? A better play would be to call my raise and hope to get the rest of my stack in the middle on turn and river.

So I put the guy on AQ and calls. He flips over

6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

And just to complete the humiliation the turn comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I'm beat into oblivion.

Would a preflop re-raise chased him out? Most likely, and my normal play is to counter. But then again one need to build stack fast with blinds growing and what you really want with AA is a caller or two. So I just got what I wished for, which I hear might not neseccarily be a good thing...

Gonna be I while before I slowplay AA again.

D.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 AM

Just gotta shake it off, I think. I got knocked out of the PS 25K last night losing AA X2. Hurts, but happens.

The funny thing about last night--I got knocked out with AA vs KK when he flopped the K. No big deal. It was the second hand in a row where KK flopped a K and knocked out AA. Never seen that before. Wonder what the odds of that happening are?

CJ
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM

reraise pre-flop. i'd push.

definitely call the push on the flop.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would a preflop re-raise chased him out?

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't really matter. that's results-oriented.