Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Two hands in a row for critique

These two happened back to back. $5/$10 Paradise

Delt: 2d2c in LMP

UTG folds, EP folds, EMP calls, MP folds, I call, LP folds, CO calls, BU folds, SB folds, BB checks. Four see flop

*** FLOP *** : [ 3c Js 2h ]

BB checks, EMP checks, I bet, CO folds, BB folds, EMP calls. Heads up to turn...

*** TURN *** : [ 3c Js 2h ] [ Qd ]

He checks, I bet, he calls...

*** RIVER *** : [ 3c Js 2h Qd ] [ Ks ]

He checks, I bet, he raises, I re-raise, he calls...

Hand 2:

Delt AdKd in MP

Folded to me, I raise, LMP calls, LP folds, CO calls, rest fold. 3 see flop...

*** FLOP *** : [ Jh 5s Ks ]

I bet, both call...

*** TURN *** : [ Jh 5s Ks ] [ 6d ]

I bet, LMP calls, CO raises, I re-raise, LMP calls again, CO caps, all call...

*** RIVER *** : [ Jh 5s Ks 6d ] [ As ]

I bet, LMP folds, CO calls...

Thoughts? Results when I get home from work
Old 10-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Two hands in a row for critique

Hand 1 - Nice
Hand 2 - I think I would check-call the river, as I don't want to call a raise but don't think I could fold to it. It seems your opponent has, at a minimum, K-J, but probably something better.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:23 PM

The only thing I'd consider doing differently (and I'll probably get reamed for saying this on this site) is check-calling the river on Hand #2. The Turn cap indicates a possible set, and I'd definitely worry that the river spade flushed LMP.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:39 PM

Hand 1: Unlikely to have a straight with A10 or 910, since he didn't cap on the river. Though it is possible. Unlikely to have a set on the flop as he did not bet out on the flop or turn. Probably has a K as he raised on the river, thinking you had Js or Qs.

Most likely he had K3s and raised with two pair.

Hand 2: He only called on the flop. So unlikely to have a set. But he was following you with something, K low kicker or more likely J. He raised when the 6 hit so probably J6d or J6 clubs. He raised with the two pair, and you won with higher two pair.

I think the reraise is not good as you were the preflop raiser, he could easily put you on AK, so I think he has two pair or even 66 for a set of 6s.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:42 PM

Hand 1)
At 5/10 Paradise limping in LMP with 22 after just one other limper is questionable. The rest is fine. Did he have KJ?

Hand 2)
Gotta love those double edged outs. Your hand improved but the flush and straight draws just got there.

I like checking the river. LMP sure looks like he's on a flush draw. If you check, he bets and CO calls or folds then you can call and close the action. If you check and LMP checks I think you can count on the CO to bet any hand with which he'd call so I don't think you are giving anything up by checking.

Bottom line: if you are raised you have likely lost but will have to call so it costs you two bets. If you check you will likely collect as many bets when you win as you would if you had bet (if any of that makes any sense).

Lost Wages
Old 10-06-2003, 05:51 PM

Dont get your logic behind betting the river. What is it that you have LMP on besides a flush?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:54 PM

Hand 2: I doubt you are facing a flush or straight draw in hand 2. CO capped on the turn after a non flush card hit. That would be negative ev with only one card to come and only 3 players. So I don't think he is drawing to the flush. LMP didn't have the flush he folded. He might have been drawing to the open ended straight, but to call 4 bets?

And LMP clearly didn't have Q10, because A would have made a straight. But he folded. He probably wouldn't have been playing 34s and made 3456 for the straight draw.

I think LMP had maybe K low kicker or QJ.

And CO didn't raise on the river so he didn't hit a straight or flush.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:00 PM

Hand 2: With K-J I think CO would have raised on the flop with 2 pair. You are probably the best hand and want to charge the preflop raiser, who may have AK, to draw to the ace.

And if he has a set of KKK or JJJ, you want to know when the bets are cheaper. Plus if he has JJJ or 888 you still have about 4 outs to hit a full house, so you might as well try to cap the flop.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Results

Hand 1:

He showed KhJh for two pair, I took it.

Hand 2:

He showed 66 for a turned set and takes it.

Looking back, I'm really not sure why I bet the river on hand two as I can see the danger in it now. I'm thinking that I didn't give credit to someone calling a preflop raise then a bet out on a flop with 66 after not hitting the flop. I would have folded the sixes on the flop with that board.

Old 10-06-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Results

Hand 2: At micro-limits sets are always always a danger. People raise, call, and sometimes even 3-bet or cap even with low pocket pairs, hoping to hit a set. I have seen people call with 22 and 33 all the way to the river and sometimes hit their set on the river.

This is so exciting and the pots you win, so large, I don't think they stop to think that they may actually be making negative ev plays by betting 33 or 66 too strongly preflop and then calling all the way to the river.

Hand 1: Wow. Very surprised KJ did not raise on the flop. Guess he was trying to slowplay.