Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Parcells

It's only 4 games, and looking back the schedule set up pretty good for the 'Boys, I hate them, but Parcells is the man. His success requires his guys to "buy" into his way, and plus the points he is a handicappers dream. He preaches accountability and desire. In a league loaded with Walsh disciples, who preach execution and matchups/mismatches, Parcells is one of the few who believes that the way to victory starts with toughness, and ends 60 minutes later with toughness. It could be schedule, but if they have bought into him this may be real, and in a + situation the 'boys will be hard to pass up. 2-2 would have been a miracle 6 months ago, and his act can get old to the players, but right now it seems pretty good. I had Wash+4.5 yesterday and got a miracle bailout, but I also thought Philly still didn't look right. They were the more physical team, so I feel like I made a mistake taking Wash, but the last two years Philly puts that game out of reach much earlier, something is missing. I'm hoping the line gets to + points for the 'boys, we'll see.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Parcells

Parcells is the man, the best coach in any sport in a long time I think. Let's see Phil Jackson go coach the Nuggets and see how good he does, or Dusty or Torre go coach the Tigers. Those teams will still suck. But, I think the biggest surprise for them this year has been Quincy Carter. He's improved so much it's unbelievable. He was absolutely horrendous the last couple of years, now all the sudden he's looking like a very solid NFL QB. I'm sure the Tuna had a hand in that too.

Parcells is the real Last Don.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:18 PM

I'm glad you brought up the Nuggets, as I am from Denver. The Nuggets have really had organizational problems more than anything else and that seems to be getting better, although a proposed tryout for Rodman makes you wonder, though this could be a little push for some press. They have absolutely the best man for the job in place right now, Bzdelik is very underrated. They had offensive continuity issues last year as noone could handle the ball, or start the offense. Andre Miller is what he is, but he can at least fix that. Nene is a monster, on both ends of the floor, he is one of the most active players I have ever seen, yet still pretty raw. Earl Boykins in Denver has the possibilty to be very entertaining, and if used properly can change games. If the Nuggets can get back to running, combined with Bzdelik's defensive approach they could offer some great situations. If the Nuggets can raise the tempo successfully, it puts teams in very bad situations in their next game which leaves bettor with two for one plays. I don't know how many games they can win, but if they win 30 it creates an interesting situation in the Western Conference, which already has tight home court races. There will be some interesting NBA drama this season with up and comer teams like Memphis, Denver, Houston and Phoenix.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:54 PM

Love the hype there for the Nuggets [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I think the possiblity that people are being misled by the Cowboys is very real. And I was one who believed in this team and bet them over 7 wins. Yes they have played well and the coach got them to believe, but I still don't think watching them that they are as talented as I expected. I fully expected Carter or Hutchinson if he played to be better just because a full offseason with the team does wonders for young QBs and the reason why second and third year QBs can get it done, but first year guys are in trouble (are you listening Billick and Del Rio??). Still my concern is the line isn't as strong as I expected and they still have to play their game to win, which is low scoring with an occasional home run ball. I don't see the ability to control the line of scrimmage and go on a series of long drives out of these guys and that is exactly what Parcells wants and expects. As long as that mismatch is there it will be up to Parcells to let the team play to its strengths for this year and go out and get that ability next year.

Lets remember they have been favorites in 2 games and dogs in 2 and their record is 2-2 so calling him a miracle worker is a bit presumptuous.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:29 AM

I didn't mean to make it seem like the miracle had been worked, but rather that it may work coming up. I also misled in my post saying 2-2 would have been thought of as a miracle, and did not finish the thought. They are 3-1, and the team truthfully has to be beside itself, if they believe in him now, and more importantly in themselves that is when it will get interesting. I thought he had a chance to over achieve with an OK defense to rely on, but they were the #1 offense four weeks into the season, anybody here think that was even a remote possibility. I don't know if this will continue, but in the NFL things stop pretty quickly if they are not real, and tend to steamroll if they are.

P.S. I'm holding myself back from more Nuggets hyperbole, I could go on and on, lets just say it's been a while here in Denver.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:32 AM

Sorry, don't know why I said 3-1. I think they will get to 7 or 8 wins, but with a long drought somewhere in there. Good teams will smart defensive coordinators will just throw Carter off his game and that will be that. Like I say, the Parcells wish to run the ball 30-35 times and make a couple long drives just seems beyond this team's ability, will he accept that? That is my concern.

Yeah its easy to get excited about a team at this time of year and it looks like they have made excellent moves for a few years from now, they just better hope that they don't have guys bolting them left and right when they have the chance. Nene strikes me as a guy that will never quite dominate, but yes a good player with some flashes. Carmelo will be a solid player, but I just hope people don't spend too much time comparing him to LeBron because that just isn't going to be fair as I feel LeBron is going to be an incredible player provided he keeps his head on straight.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:59 AM

I did not bet this game as the Cowboys ended up being small favs, and this is not an I told you so post, just some observations about what seems to be an interesting team. The Eagles have problems no doubt about it, no one EVER seems to be open, and the game started with a seven point gift(stupid, stupid,stupid). The Cowboys were less than average on offense, but two dropped balls if caught would have made a huge difference in both the game and the way the game looked. The Cowboys also have an advantage in that if they lose they get too write it up as learning curve, still I was impressed. They don't over rely on any part of the offense making them fairly unpredictable, which is second to execution but still important. If you are predictable and bad, good luck. They clearly have a plan and an us against the world attitude, which may not mean 12-4, but 9-7 may win their division. I hate the organization, but I love overachievers, and they are one of a number of interesting stories in the league right now. I have a couple of other observations. Nobody likes to get hit, but Dante Hall really doesn't like it, and puts himself in awkward situations to avoid it, he has been fantastic, but is in danger of getting himself hurt. The Chiefs are good, Right? I don't know. Holmes is awesome, and they are 6-0 so what's to argue, still I just don't know. The refs make some horrible calls and some amazing calls, and the reason is that the game is almost impossible to officiate, it is the reason I bet so few NFL games. The replay thing is a sham though, coaches are horrible at it, and the refs seem to purposely call the play the one way replay would be inadmissable, it is better than nothing, but is not being used in the best way. If the past couple of years are a blueprint there are some suprises to come, as in past years the sub-.500 set don't look that exciting, but there are playoff teams there.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:22 PM

Default Nuggets are going nowhere....

As one who lives in Denver and has season tickets for the Nugs, I can tell you they will win 20 games this year, tops. Bzdelik is not a very good coach, they lost their top scorer and a total pro in Howard, Nene a monster???? I admit he has talent, but he is a few years away from being a top player and certainly not a "monster" at his position. Miller is a decent point guard but nothing special. They have no shooting guards, (sorry Barry and Leonard are old retreads who would be the 7th or 8th men on any other team), you cannnot count on Camby to play more than 50 games, tops, Carmello is good but he is a rookie and his defensive skills are lacking. They have no depth coming off the bench and when Ryan Bown is one of your starters, you know you suck. They have been bad for so long that anyone who follows them is trying to put a pretty face on this pig, but it just aint going to fly. They will not win more than 20 and will be one of the 3 worst teams in the league. As a season ticket holder I would like to be more optimistic, but if the situation was so great here in Denver, how come they couldnt land one top level free agent when they had a ton of money to spend? The top level free agents know the situation here is terrible and wont improve for at least 2-3 more years. Getting back to Bzdelik, this is a guy who at the beginning of last year, when the Nugs played some games and lost but were close said "I would go to war anytime with these guys". He then says at the start of this year they had the worst talent of any pro team ever last year. The guy is a phony who is a control freak a la Pat Riley. Did kid yourself, pre-season means nothing, especially in pro hoops. This team is in for another long year and it wouldnt surprise me if Carmello implodes on this team when the losses start piling up.--Big Al--
Old 10-14-2003, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Nuggets are going nowhere....

I did not say they would win 30 games, I said they could. If your a season ticket holder and you don't think this team has more hope than last year, ask for your money back, because you are not paying attention. The joke is that Howard was the leading scorer and a total "pro", not that he is gone, he had to be a total "pro" or he would not have been given a chance to sign anywhere. The fact that they won 17 games last year, with the talent they had, is testament to the potential Bzdelik has as a coach. I also said Nene was Raw, meaning inconsistent, here today where tommorow, but he is active, athletic, and huge. Anthony took way too many bad shots last year, so I am sure this year will have some highs, but some low lows. Also I said Miller is what he is, but he is an UPGRADE. Also Boykins was made for Denver, if they can run, and play D like last year, 30 wins is not pushing it. Would I bet for 30 wins, no. There are 41 games in Denver, all I want is for there to be 11 great situations, for that purpose it serves my hopes that Denver will be bad, and 30 wins is bad. Bzdelik's background is Riley, but he is not the freak Riley is. Riley has been trying to prove forever that it was him, not Magic, Kareem, Worthy and so on. Bzdelik is not trying to prove it was him who was getting the Heat bounced out in the first round every year. To judge him on last year is unfair to say the least, lets judge him on his teams improvement this year. They had no offensive talent last year. I for one was pleased that they did not let one hit wonder Arenas hold them hostage, he is fun too watch, but plays no D. Candy man is a cancer, so thank god he's not here. I don't care if you don't believe, but they have at least quit going backwards, and have lots of moves going forwards. The Nuggets have been horrible for a while but they picked the right time to be bad as they never would have competed in the west for the past 6 years. GO NUGGS.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Nuggets are going nowhere....

Believe me, I have been paying attention, being a season ticket holder will do that. No one put a gun to my head to buy season tickets, believe me they are not in great demand in this town.To make some dumb comment like I should ask for my money back on something that is totally my choice is stupid. I am a huge basketball fan and buy season tickets because I can afford to and I enjoy the game very much. I know this team very well and believe me, they are going no where. They have gained the reputation of being the Clippers of the midwest, and that is almost impossible to shake, thus they wont get any big name free agents. If Carmello is anything near what they say he is, he will be gone in 3 years when he's a free agent. You really think a kid from the East Coast is going to stay in Denver for a long time???