Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: KQ suited, Heads-up

I'm fine with it. I question whether you really need to 3-bet the flop, but after doing so taking the free card on the turn is fine. (Deranged makes a nice case for this.) If you just called the flop raise, it would seem that in most cases you'd have the odds to take one off on the turn (four clean straight outs plus ~ 3 outs total for your Q and K, plus 1/4 of the time you'll pick up nine outs on the flush draw.) Seven outs is plenty to take one off with 6.75 BB in the pot after he bets the turn. I'm only folding the turn if a non-club ace or a jack comes up, as that takes down our outs considerably.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you underestimate how often players will reflexively value bet on the river after an opponent checks behind on the turn. Without a read I think there is a good chance villian is bet-calling with a huge range of hands that he beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:12 PM

why are u 3-betting that flop?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:19 PM

If you 3 bet while behind if you know you'll call a turn bet, you're saving half a bet to get to the river. Plus if it's capped you can pretty safely fold there or on the turn knowing you're behind, rather than hitting the turn or river only to find out you were way behind the whole way. (e.g. to 99 or something)
Old 10-11-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus if it's capped you can pretty safely fold there or on the turn knowing you're behind, rather than hitting the turn or river only to find out you were way behind the whole way. (e.g. to 99 or something)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the gutshot
Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 AM

Thanks for all the imput W. I'm glad you think I'm better than I do!

I have to honestly say I didn't think about alot of these factors while playing the hand, and didn't think too much about the hand til after, which is why I posted here.

This may sound stupid but the plays just felt right at the time and didn't require alot of thought. I began to 2nd guess myself after the hand.

I was going to fold to a river 3-bet(which probably meant QJ at the least), but just assumed he would bet a J on the river when I checked behind on the turn, so I also figured he wouldn't fold to a raise with a J either.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:38 AM

I really don't like the idea of folding an 11 BB pot with top pair. If you plan on folding to a 3 bet you should DEFINATELY just call.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:18 AM

Looks good.

The flop 3-bet got you the free card on the turn and you took it. Very good.

I like the river raise. Since UTG wait to c/r you on the turn or didn't cap the flop, he doesn't have a set. He most likely just has a Jack and since you have one of the Queens, he probably doesn't have one. Did he have something like AJ or KJ or even A9s?