Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

Standard raise, whatever that is for you. For me it's 275-300, depending on how much a pain it is to bet 275. (Same reasons as Adanthar. I bet 275 regularly on Party, but on Stars I usually don't bother 'cause of the scrollbar interface.)

I call a push by a shortie. I call most other reraises as well, although I might fold to a push or pot-committing raise from a big-stack in a 109. I don't 3-bet unless I decide to push. (I rely on the "no strong reads" statement for this. I push over a reraise by an overly aggro player.)

If there's a reraise and a call or 3-bet behind me (in either order), I fold.

I think limping is awful, and for me it's out of the question absent some pretty compelling extenuating circumstance, such as a table-terrorist behind me.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:26 PM

Default I must be reading these replies wrong

How can you justify folding AK with only 26BB in your stack? I'd like to hear the reasoning behind folding.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: I must be reading these replies wrong

[ QUOTE ]
How can you justify folding AK with only 26BB in your stack? I'd like to hear the reasoning behind folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll fold AK any time I strongly suspect I'm up against a pair and at least one of my outs is dead. A reraise and a call behind you, in either order, is a classic example.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll fold AK any time I strongly suspect I'm up against a pair and at least one of my outs is dead. A reraise and a call behind you, in either order, is a classic example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see a re-raise and a call, or a re-raise and another raise, but there are alot of people talking about folding to one re-raise. I think this is completely ridiculous.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see a re-raise and a call, or a re-raise and another raise, but there are alot of people talking about folding to one re-raise. I think this is completely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

A push from a big stack here is most often going to be a small to mid pocket pair. With 26 bb, even if the blinds are both dead, there isn't enough dead money to make taking the short (45%) end of a "flip" +EV.

Consider:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=7920
pokenum -h ah kd - 7c 7s
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kd Ah 761478 44.47 946000 55.25 4826 0.28 0.446
7s 7c 946000 55.25 761478 44.47 4826 0.28 0.554

You need about 11% dead money in the pot for this call to be +EV. Even if the pusher is not on one of the blinds, you're getting about half that.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pick up something every time I read these boards. In all the reading of poker books I have done, I can't remember anyone stating this (although it may be in one and just didn't stick). Excellent comment.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 PM

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 48.2503 % 40.06% 08.19% { AKo }
Hand 2: 51.7497 % 43.56% 08.19% { 88+, AQs+, AQo+ }

That's about right for a bit stack push, and you dont need 11% of dead money, theres 1.5 BB in there, your 3BB raise, villains 3BB call, then 23BB more... so 23 to win 30.5 BB, thats enough to take a 55/45 (not to mention a 51/49), i think.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 PM

11% dead money sounds too much but i may be wrong. i know u made the "i can lay down AK more now" thread but i think to win these tournies u have to take the risks and this has the potential to be one of those spots
Old 10-11-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
11% dead money sounds too much but i may be wrong. i know u made the "i can lay down AK more now" thread but i think to win these tournies u have to take the risks and this has the potential to be one of those spots

[/ QUOTE ]

11% is the figure against a pocket pair. If you expand the range to include AQ, it's smaller. It depends on your read. I'm calling this all day long in the tourneys I play. But in a $109, I might fold. I don't have enough experience with them to know how much tighter the overpush range is, there.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

[ QUOTE ]
In my mind, AK in early position has everything to do with table dynamics. If I think I've got a loose reputation, I'm making my standard raise (usually 3x) and probably calling a push. I think this gives me the best odds of getting it all in against a hand I dominate. If it's an aggressive table or there is a particular player who tends to attack limpers, then I like a limp-re-raise or limp-push; this is a good way to take down a reasonably sized pot while still generating fold equity against a fair number of hands (pocket pairs) that are slight favorites pre-flop. There's also a good chance one of the medium stacks will push a hand like AQ, especially if I'm known to limp a lot.

Raising to 300 is my default play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Foucault's line here. 300 is standard unless I feel that there will be a chance to get my chips in as a big favorite (or even a slight underdog) against an aggressive player yet to act.