Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Default My Opinion

IMO - bet and raise [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] <font color="red"> </font>
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: My Opinion

Did you just make that worthless post to promote your site?
Old 10-11-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: KK w/ uncomfortable stack size - What\'s your plan on this flop?

[quote
I would (almost) never call from the BB with an ace here. However, someone who did will never, ever fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely spot on. Nice one, adanthar.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an easy check*, it's not very close, and what you do afterwards is play poker.

*But on a flop like that, I also check AK a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, we disagreed so much on the other thread .... but I have to admit that I'm in complete agreement with you here.

IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the opponent has an Ace here. If it were, then he/she would almost surely have to come out betting here to try and find out what Hero has. Possibly the opponent is really tricky and would check something like AQo or ATs here, in hopes of inducing a bet from the Hero. Can't really say without more info.

So while not intimate with the situation, I'm inclined to think that the opponent called with big connectors and/or big suited cards, or perhaps with a small pair like 55 or 66.

Also doubtful that the opponent made a little set, because with the Ace on board, I'd probably want to bet the set, in hopes that the opponent made top pair and would then be inclined to raise.

By following the opponents check with a check, you would indeed be giving a free card, albeit that free card is probably a best a 20-1 shot at a set, or improving to a false indication of best hand, or another card towards a back door draw.

I like the chance of giving the opponent a chance to catch something minor, or miss again with the small pair, and induce a bluff or bad value bet on the turn.

Then depending on the card and the situation, the Hero can either cold call to try for more money on the river, or go over the top and take down the pot at the turn.

Probably the best of all worlds would be for the turn to be a King or Queen and see the opponent holding something like KQs.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, it is highly unlikely that the opponent has an Ace here. If it were, then he/she would almost surely have to come out betting here to try and find out what Hero has.

Also doubtful that the opponent made a little set, because with the Ace on board, I'd probably want to bet the set, in hopes that the opponent made top pair and would then be inclined to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are attributing too much skill to an unknown opponent.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM

Great questions adanthar. By the way I really like the writeup you did on your win and I thank you for it, I learned a lot how people on a different level see the game.

Why bet more pre? - To take away the odds he gets on a call. Shorty's bet gave the Bb 2.5 to 1 odds on a the call. Given the possible range of hands in a steal, these are high enough odds for a lot of hands to call.

Reasons for betting the pot back? - Reason A) One of the range of hands he would have to put you on would be an Ax, with no information on what the x is. Hitting the A, he doesn't know he has a stronger A unless his x is a K. This is the only Ax hand I could see him checking. Reason B) The only other hand he would slowplay is if he hit a set. If that happens, then I guess I have to take my lumps.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Fair questions shorty, I should have backed up my statements. adanthar asked the same first question, please see my response there.

On the second, on the come with suited cards or small or med pair hoping to hit a set. I also responded in more detail to this in my response to adanthar.