Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Bankroll problems - what do I play?

I deposited $120 onto Stars and was playing the $1.20 45 table holdem sng's but the play is so variable there I haven't been cashing much, apart from one win lol! After a few small MTT's and these 45 player sng's I am down to $92. I was really hoping to just gradually build my bankroll up with small cashes in the multiple low limit sng's but now I find myself about $30 down, do I stick with the low limit $1.20's and plod it out there until I get up to a suitable level and then maybe move into the low mtt buy ins, or should I still combine the mtt's with the low $1.20 multi table holdem sng's? Any kind of figures I should be looking at to know when to maybe move up higher in limits to maybe $5?

Any advice would be great, even maybe a good strategy to cash the $1.20's.

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Bankroll problems - what do I play?

invest in a book. deposit more money when you can afford it. play $25NL cash games or 10+1 sngs.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 AM

My suggestion is to play the 1 table SnGs. The variance is lower.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the responses, although with just under a $100, the $5 sng's might be a bit too high for my roll? Not sure.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 AM

yes, that's just the thing. also, do not play party poker 5+1's as the 20% rake is bs. to play sng's, i recommend at least 30 buy in's per level. otherwise, you chance to loose your entire roll
Old 10-11-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses, although with just under a $100, the $5 sng's might be a bit too high for my roll? Not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you know what you're doing, those $5 tournies should be wicked easy. I don't know how terrible it would be if you lost your whole bankroll, but if it were me, I'd just take the risk. Unless you want to go play some micro-limit cash games. But who want's to play NL hold'em for pennies? Boring if you ask me.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, that's just the thing. also, do not play party poker 5+1's as the 20% rake is bs. to play sng's, i recommend at least 30 buy in's per level. otherwise, you chance to loose your entire roll

[/ QUOTE ]
He's playin at stars. $5+.50
Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 AM

I built my roll playing the 45 man 1.20 on stars. I might have been running a little good considering the rake, but they are such a donkfest that they are absolutly beatable.

100 bucks is probably a little short for playing the 5.5 STT, but it's worth a shot. If you get off to a good start everything is ok, if not just move down again.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 AM

Cool, what did you start with and end up with once you played the 45 seaters? Any tips on good strategy?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:35 AM

Started up with 70'ish and moved up to the 5.5 when I hit 125, then to the 11's when I hit 250 (had to take a step down to 5.5 before moving back up since I lost a few buyins here).

Strategy for the 1.2 5 table SnG.

Really standard stuff. Ultratight and agressive first few levels, don't be afraid to make overraises or just openpush strong hands (AK, QQ-AA) if you think you will get a call, most likely you will.

When blinds reach 50/100 you either have doubled up once or twice through donks and can pick spots to make a 4xBB (raises needs to be at least this big, since people like to call with a wide range. adjust the size of your steal raises to the table) raise to steal the blinds or you are down to 1100-1200 and need to look for spots to openpush, look for 88+ and AJ+, since people do call all ins with weak aces and small pockepairs.

Repeat for levels higher.

One of the key factors is making huge raises preflop and postflop when you have a hand, since donks will pay you off. If you have AK and a A is on the flop, you might just wanna push even if it's a ridiculous overbet since A2-AQ will not hesitate to call.

Hell, KQ might decide to call with highcard K thinking you probably have no A. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]