Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2003, 01:50 PM

Default You\'re a Manaic - I\'ll raise you back!

Colorado $2 to $5 spread limit. I sit down and wait for the button and watch the 3 hands played while I wait. There is a certified manaic, usually tough to know after only 3 hands but not in this case - capped the river two hands in a row with only A high vs a straight and a flush. I also got the whisper from the guy next to me that this maniac is about $400 deep in less then an hour.

I jump in and am in the CO, I look down and find pocket K's.
There are 3 limpers to the Maniac and he of course raises, 2 callers and I raise. One of the EP calls, maniac 3 bets, all fold to me, I bump it again and EP mucks, Maniac and I cap it.

Flop comes A K A - yahooooo!
Maniac bets, I raise, he re-raises and I 3-bet, he raises again and I call.

Turn is a 9.
Manaic bets I call.

River is a 7.
Maniac bets I raise, he re-raises and I call.

The maniac shows his hand and it wasn't a boat, I mucked.

I know maniacs catch good cards but I couldn't see myself being behind on this flop. Maybe just maybe he caught up with a bigger boat turn or river or something but a 407:1 Quad flop....come on. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I guess hind sight shows that I way overplayed this but I had to put him on A with any kicker on the flop right?
Old 10-03-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: You\'re a Manaic - I\'ll raise you back!

Sorry to hear about the result, but I don't think you overplayed this at all.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:57 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Shame it wasn't an AKK flop it might have made the maniac even for the night.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:17 PM

I like the way you played this. Although you are losing to AK or AA here, most players (even non-maniacs) would play any ace like this on the flop and turn. You should think you are winning and raise the river like you did. You could be up against any ace here, no reason to think you are losing.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:29 PM

I guess hind sight shows that I way overplayed this but I had to put him on A with any kicker on the flop right?

If he is truly a maniac, then you severely underplayed your hand. You should have capped every street.

-- Homer
Old 10-03-2003, 02:57 PM

Yeah, your right! I did underplay this hand because I never put him on the Quads and there was no way I could of been behind on the flop and the odds are huge against him boating up. Should of capped the whole way....glad I didn't but I should of.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:57 PM

I would have lost more than you did!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:00 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. The poster also shouldn't be bitching too much about the long-shot quads flop, considering he was horribly dominated before the flop!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:48 PM

Is there a cap heads-up here? If not, against a maniac I'd go many, many bets on the flop. I dunno, at least 10 probably. But anyway, on to the turn...

Your turn play makes no sense at all. You obviously thought your hand was still best since you raised him on the river. If you think you're ahead, why on earth would you just call the maniac's turn bet? That makes zero sense. This is a guy who will cap w/ Ace high and you're flat calling w/ a full house? But anyway, on to the river...

Now, on the river, after you merely call his bet on the turn, the maniac 3-bets you. And you just call? The way the hand has played out so far, I definitely wouldn't stop there vs. a maniac.

Against a true maniac (and capping flush/straight rivers w/ Ace-high probably qualifies him), I'd probably give him about this much action w/ QQ on this board.