Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Totally confused! Should I quit?

Maybe you don't want to play poker anymore? Or a break would be good. Sounds like you're buring out. And when someone burns out from a hobby, they can....drum roll....try something else? Take a break?

Some of the replies to move up or try 6 handed are possibly just driving you to gambooool more to try and recapture the rush from winning. I agree that striving to move up in limits is a natural progression, but not for this poster.

I'm thinking a break or finding another pastime would be better options.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 PM

You should be happy that you no longer have the rush. That will be shorty followed by not caring when you get sucked out on.

Removing emotion from your game is a sign that you are developing as a player.

That being said, it can get boring as hell sometimes, but there has been some good advice in this thread about avoiding burnout.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 PM

What the other guys said. Learn different kinds of poker, and learn how to play them well. Through in ring, STT, and MTT play with each form of poker you play and you'll keep yourself occupied for a long time.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I quit a winning player and go learn something else. I don't really need the money, and to move up in limits, well I don't have the bankroll for playing against the best.

The question is, is it silly to quit now a winning player when so many don't make any money at all, or is playing poker like a wife ....in the long run you get bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is most silly is forcing yourself to play poker if you really aren't enjoying it much and you don't need the money.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:51 PM

Hi all, thanks for your replys. Some great advice!!

I feel that some here have hit the nail right on the head for my situation. I do play quite a bit and may have burnt out. I also agree with those who say 'why play if you don't enjoy and don't care about the money' There is no reason at all to play!. I have tried to spice things up, but did it the wrong way (before your advice), seeking the excitment and instead of moving down and burning off some steam, I moved up and became supper aggressive ( very fishy I know!). I also tried some MTT and Sit&Go's, but feel that these are -EV for me currently, as am not in the correct mentallity to play 'solid' poker. I haven't played since I first wrote the first message and believe I need to give myself a long break.

I plan not to play until after xmas, and I will see how I feel after then.

Thanks for all your advice, and your fantastic posts. I will keep coming back to 2+2 as still enjoy reading up, but whether I play again. Who knows??!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go gut those Fishy's for me!

ZCAHV82
Old 10-09-2005, 09:02 PM

I am in exactly the same situation and this is why as of now I am likely to never play online again. I stopped for a while and then a few weeks back I decided to deposit £15 as I really wanted to play, I turned that into £700, withdrew £300 and then lost the rest.
Apart from some terrible luck for the last week I lost most of it from playing bad. I wanted every pot to be massive, purely for excitement.

I am currently living at home with my parents and really have no reason to earn large amounts of money from poker. Poker infact distracts me from what I want to do. It serves as a scape goat. Ill make £200 a week and somewhere down the line ill lose it again but that week I spent earning the money is never coming back.

I think I can actually say that I have grown to hate online poker. Its become overwhelming and its time to move on.