Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 09:48 AM

Default How to play against someone who bets at every pot?

Played in a single-table SnG last night and ended up at a table with a guy who bet into every pot. Most of the time, the table would fold to his bets, but he raked quite a few unwanted pots in the process. Often, when people would just call him down to the river, he would turn over A high or absolute garbage.

The best part about it was that his continual bluffing was causing other people to play poorly. Several times I watched people call him down, he'd turn over Q high, and the other person would muck [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

I hit a couple of big hands against him, and let him bet into me, hoping to draw the maximum from him each time.

So, it gets down to the 2 of us, and we have about even stacks. This is where I screwed up. I did not know how to play against the guy who played every hand and bet every pot. Since he bet every time (usually the minimum), it was very difficult to get a read on him. When I did push back (bluffing), it seemed like I picked the wrong time to do it.

I didn't hit many cards in that run of hands, and ended up losing to what I had considered the biggest moron at the table earlier. Yet, being unable to defend against his betting tactics, it would seem that I was the moron after all.... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

So what's the best method for playing people like this?
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Re: How to play against someone who bets at every pot?

HU against this guy you have to be just as aggressive. Raise any 2 cards that = 18 or higher.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:48 AM

Exactly.

As an aggressive HU player myself, my biggest fear is another aggressive HU player.

At the end of a tourney, you can't afford to wait for the monster hand. And even if you do hit a monster, there is no guarantee you will make anything.

If make only an occasional play-back, then you will only get called/raised when your opponent is strong.

Old 10-02-2003, 10:55 AM

So should I bet back even when I'm T-high and the flop misses me? If so, how much, assuming he bets the min?

Should I lead out the betting every chance I get? What to do if raised and I have zilch?

Thanks for the advice (and to SirFoldsAlot too), getting info straight from the horse's mouth is helpful.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:59 AM

From the SB start out raising with any two cards. If he responds by calling or reraising anything, then you might tighten that up to only the top half of hands, or varying between the two.

From the BB reraise with any A, any K, and any 20.

With both of you playing this aggressively, the tourney becomes a crap shoot, but that is still better than giving him the edge by letting him run over you. It probably wont take many hands for there to be an all-in with monster v monster, or monster v monster draw that is justified based on the big pot built up PF.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 AM

Of course, the answers depend. I play differently based on whether or not my opponent is aggressive or not. Copernicus' post about sums it all up. You don't want the guy to run over you, and you pretty much end up with a crap shoot (and it's for this reason that I don't like playing other aggressive players). Reread Sklansky's sections on Game Theory and Bluffing in TOP.

[ QUOTE ]
So should I bet back even when I'm T-high and the flop misses me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I will usually bet out with nothing and am capable folding to a raise, then I would say sometimes yes. The more aggressive you are the less likely I am to fold. I may still fold, but I may not. One criteria to consider is that it's always nice to have some backdoor draws so that if your raise is called, you can drop or keep on depending on whether or not you hand improves on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, how much, assuming he bets the min?

[/ QUOTE ]

% of stack is a consideration. I would say 2 additional bets is enough to give your opponent something to think about. Another tactic is to just call and raise the turn no matter what.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I lead out the betting every chance I get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Don't do it every time. But, generally, yes.

[ QUOTE ]
What to do if raised and I have zilch?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no outs, then often you drop. If you have outs, then call or move in (again not always).