Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 05:17 PM

Default KQ pair facing tricky opponent

First, some background info about Villain. He's 31/10/2.77 after 359 hands, is a thinking opponent, and pulls some serious tricks out of his bag on occasion. Can pull serious bluffs if he feels he can push his opponent off a hand. Here's a hand I played against him earlier.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Hero ($354.65)
UTG ($132.35)
MP ($156.10)
CO ($206.40)
Button ($318.60)
SB ($198)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, UTG calls $6, CO calls $6.

Flop: ($25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, UTG folds, CO calls $18.

Turn: ($61) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $45</font>, Hero calls $45.

River: ($151) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO calls $135.40 (All-In), Hero calls $135.40.

Final Pot: $421.80

Results below:
Hero has 8h 8c (two pair, eights and sixes).
CO has 9h Th (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $421.80.

In the above hand, I aaaaaaalmost timed out on the turn, but after limp-calling PF, it seemed much more likely he had a smaller pair or a flush draw than Ax and was trying to push me off a hand exactly like the one I had. I held to my read and the shove on the river I almost instacalled, figuring it to be a "please don't call" bet rather than a value bet. (Note: I was maaaaaybe tilting a little when I played this hand, and it did happen to work out, but I don't try this nonsense normally. I just thought, f--k it, I don't think he's got it this time.)

Anyways, on to the hand at hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

MP ($281.75)
Button ($165.75)
SB ($134)
BB ($225.82)
Hero ($360.53)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($19) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, Button calls $12, BB folds.

Turn: ($43) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $55</font>, Hero calls $35.

River: ($153) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40...</font>

The turn raise he put in struck me as a similar steal type deal. I wasn't about to give him credit for the flush since his raising range was way wider. As to the river, my thought was that I'd really hate to have to call another huuuuuuge bet that was maybe a hand or maybe a bluff, so i donked/blocked it. I plan to fold to a raise. Maybe. I hope to not get raised by AK or KT, and if im lucky, a small flush. Though recent experiences indicate I'm not that lucky. I also hope for a whining, desperate call from KJ or even AT. I do fold QJ and lose a probable bluff river bet, though. But that's okay, because it would be a bluff that would be veeeery difficult to call. A lot of things have to work for this hand to work, though, so I don't intend to make this a usual line, but for this situation, what do you think?