Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: UB20k - How bad did I play this AK?

The thing that sent off alarms in my head was his check on the flop. He showed strength pre-flop and then he just slows down on the flop?

I think your check/call on the turn is a fine idea, although it's a tough spot and I'd feel the urge to get my chips in as well. Villian in my opinion probably has QQ, AQ, or another AK. I'm kind of biased though as the sound of your post makes me feel that you lost. That 5k bet could just be a probe bet I guess.

I think he calls with AJ here possibly, but did he really reraise a UTG+1 preflop raise with AJ?

I just don't see how you are ahead here, unless he is playing KK post flop horribly. I could see him maybe play JJ this way, but he's not calling your push with JJ.

So overall, I think calling his bet on the flop is the best option and hope for a cheap showdown. You beat his JJ or KK, but otherwise, I think most of the time, you are beat here.

Brad
Old 10-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Agree fully. I was playing great and had visions of a 2-6k payout entering my head and thus have been killing myself thinking about this hand.

Villian coming over the top preflop, but not all-in normally makes me think very big hand, but I also don't play a lot of 100's, and wondered if I was looking at a reraise move due to being perceived as tight.

In hindsight, the flop check on his part screams slow play to me, but I don't know if its just results oriented thinking.

He had QQ of course and I'm drawing dead with all my chips in the middle.

I think his line was standard for QQ in this spot and I missed it.

Anyone fold this preflop?

P
Old 10-07-2005, 11:05 AM

I think I probably do fold preflop to the reraise, unless you have a solid read that you're being pushed around. He's reraising you a quarter of your stack (and close to 1/4 of his) after you already showed strength. Unless there's a read that he's super aggro or he thinks you're really weak he's only doing this with QQ+ (maybe JJ) and maybe AK. If he has KK or AA you're in trouble, QQ you're a flip against but only if you see all 5 cards so I don't really like just calling preflop, and I hate pushing this where folding here would still leave you 20 BBs. I just let this one go I think.