Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 PM

Default Four King Hell

I don't normally like posting two hands but these two (over the last day) tie in too much not too. In both hands I'm not 100% sure I made the right decision (if I try and look at my play minus result-oriented thinking).

Note: I'm not saying that either or both hands involved someone having Quad Kings, just that it was something I had to consider.

Hand 1 (from memory)
I decide to limp in from EP with AQo (yeah I know I could raise [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img])
About 4/5 of us see the flop for one bet.

Flop K K A - rainbow
Hmmm. BB bets out. I think about raising then figure "what will it accomplish?". I don't know if I'm being a wimp but I decide I think I may just call this one down. I'm either well ahead, or well behind. (The only even half likely harm I see is a gutshot broadway, which may fold anyway)

So I flat call. Guy right after me calls. 3 of us to the Turn.

Turn X = Blank
BB checks. I bet. Callers calls. BB Checkraises.
I pause, and think.
Hmmmmmmmmm. I weigh up my options and *fold*. (I consider if I'm making *too* strong a fold before I do)
Caller calls.

River K
Board K K A x K

I think "S**t. Now only one King he *could* have. Tell me he has it..."

He bets out, and is called.

Was my fold right? Wrong? Should I have raised the Flop/Turn? Was going with my read right?

Hand 2
Folded to me in EP with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - I raise.
MP reraises me, next guy Calls 3 Cold.
Folded around to me, I cap it, 3 to the flop for 4 bets.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, MP raises, CC3 folds, I reraise, MP caps.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I think about CRing the Turn but think "[censored] it, I'll just bet out."
I bet, he raises.

I think. My best play?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Four King Hell

Wow. These are both really tough hands!

Hand 1: I like your fold when facing the turn C/R. Tough to do, but with the other player playing the calling station on this one, it's likely the CS has an Ace, making the BB's C/R most likely a King. If the BB is a good player who is planning on calling you down with a mediocre ace, he might try a C/R here planning on folding to a 3-bet and trying to knock one of you off an ace. That way if a high-ish card falls on the river, it would be chopped 2 ways instead of 3.

However, if I were the BB, I would put you on a K here, since you just limped in from EP. I assume there haven't been too many aces that you've open-limped from EP with at this table, but your opponents might not be as observant.

All in all, I think your muck will save you bets in the long-run. The pot isn't big enough to justify calling in this spot, in my opinion, and it's going to cost you at least 2 BB's to call down. Save 'em for another hand.

Hand 2:

Again, tough, but I'd go into call-down mode after I was raised on the turn. Obviously folding isn't an option, so I'm assuming your asking whether or not you should re-raise. Given the strength you showed PF and the strength you're now encountering, I think the likely-hood of your opponent holding the case is good. He could, however, be WAY overplaying a medium pocket pair 8's-J's, but you're only making yourself one extra big bet if this is the case, and losing 2 if it's not. After weighing my options, I'd call the turn raise and check-call the river.

Tough hands; good post.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:10 PM

You don't give much player info, but
Hand #1, most players won't bet out if they have a King, likely go for a Turn Checkraise when the bets double.

what will it accomplish?
(The only even half likely harm I see is a gutshot broadway, which may fold anyway)

Don't think of it as 'may' fold, think of it as I'm going to make you fold. YOu don't want somebody peeling off one cheaply who would have folded in the face of a raise.
Raise preflop. Raise the Flop. From there, Player dependent I guess, most times I see this to the river leading the way as well.

Hand #2 I think you played the hand fine, I might even 3-bet the turn against some players, but generally speaking you can call the raise and check/call the river. There's not a ton of hands that beat you, AA and any king. Ideally you catch a smaller PP.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:20 AM

Actually Player Info was deliberataly not included as I didn't know enough about any of the players involved to deviate from standard.

What I did neglect to mention though was,
Online, UB, 5/10, regular "little too loose" game.