Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 09:59 AM

Default KQo: Live Play Adjustment

Greetings.
Game is 20/40 live NoCal. I'd been playing for about an hour and had raised the turn with top pair 3 times already and my hand was good each time. However, in this game, raising the turn with top pair is considered a light raise and the rest of the "thinking" players seemed determined to try and outplay me. BB in this hand is tight, angry white dude who'd love to wipe the smirk off my face.
3 loose/bad players limp, and I raise in hijack with
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Very loose button calls, both blinds call and so do limpers.
(7 BB)
Flop is:
9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
All check
Turn is
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, 1 limper calls, I raise, button folds, SB folds, BB 3 bets, limper folds, I fold.

Sorry if this hand is standard but I feel like I don't always change gears at the right times and am wondering if I should have made adjustments in this hand.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: KQo: Live Play Adjustment

If BB didn't re-raise, you would have probably have seen the drawing hand(s) call your raise, so, since you have nothing but top pair & the board is coordinated, I would have just called.
Note: There is sufficient odds to call his re-raise to a 3 outer (the king) if you put him on two pair or AQ and assume the limper did not have a king, i.e.,
42/3 = 14:1.
So, with 13 bets in the pot..........and if he's got the same hand......or.............but I don't think it's worth the call.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 AM

"If BB didn't re-raise, you would have probably have seen the drawing hand(s) call your raise, so, since you have nothing but top pair & the board is coordinated, I would have just called."
Hi Rogue,
I'm having a tough time imagining flat calling and letting button and SB (nearly) profitably draw at gutshots and pairs. I also see no problem with charging the limper the max for his draw. But there are probably arguments for just calling that I don't understand.
"There is sufficient odds to call his re-raise to a 3 outer"
If I knew I had precisely 3 outs, what I do doesn't really matter. However, I'd hate to fold to something like 98 or 86. Far more disturbing is folding if he has something like QdJd (but no lead on the flop makes this far less likely). That's why I started to call but the threat of a set and multiple ways to already have a str8 persuaded me to fold.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:27 PM

It's easy for me to chose the best course of action after the play is over.
In this situation, I believe that on the turn, I am not a favorite to be in the lead, therefore, I cannot raise.