Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Default A List of Changes that I Vow to Make

I taped this to my desk this morning:

1. NEVER BLUFF IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE:
a. Multiway pots
b. Without position
c. Against call stations

2. DO NOT CONTINUE ANY BLUFFS PAST FLOP

3. DO NOT PLAY BACK WITH NOTHING AGAINST PEOPLE WHO YOU THINK ARE "MAKING A MOVE"... THEY USUALLY ARENT

4. BE WARY OF CHECK-RAISES, THEY USUALLY MEAN BUSINESS

5. TAKE A BREAK IF YOU TAKE 3 BAD BEATS IN A ROW

Of course, all of these seem obvious, but it's easier to follow them when they are posted right in front of me. #4 is a big leak in my game; against aggressive opponents I often end up capping with mid-pair just because I think they are raising with overcards... damn.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: A List of Changes that I Vow to Make

#1 I don't agree with 100%, there will always be cases where a bluff is profitable in each of these situations, although they're few and far between at microlimits, but if you bluff too much it's probably best to follow these rules. Bluffing without position is sometimes better than bluffing with position though.

#2 Same as above.

#3 This is good advice.

#4 This is very player/situation dependant. A checkraise from a good player to blow out the field usually means a marginal hand that needs protecting, a checkraise to bloat the pot from a tight player could mean a flush draw. A check/call/raise cap from a loose passive could be bottom pair getting pissed off at all the raising going on.

#5 Can't argue with this, only you know if you need to take a break.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:10 AM

I agree with sharpie. However, bluffing too much almost always a much bigger mistake than never bluffing, especially at lower limits where the players are generally worse. I would encourage you to back off your bluffing signficantly, but as you regain your comfort and confidence in your play, take a second look at some spots and critically analyze them in a manner advocated by Grunch's post that I'm far too lazy to link to.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:08 AM

linky
Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 PM

so many people peel on the flop, a bluff needs to be taken to the turn sometimes as well in my experience.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so many people peel on the flop, a bluff needs to be taken to the turn sometimes as well in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly feel this way playing $1/2. If you're representing TP against someone who called raises preflop and on flop, often you need to drive turn to get a fold.

Not too often though, but if you always stop on the turn, you're giving up on fold from people who peel.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:32 PM

6. DO NOT TYPE IN CAPS. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 02:46 PM

1a. Bluffing is pretty much useless in micros. Value bet, value bet, value bet. If you are up against two players that are very passive and have low went to showdown %, then give it a shot every so often.

b. Again, about micros, but I disagree about it being wrong to bluff OOP. Halfway thinking opponents are more likely to put you on a bluff if you are in position.

c. Agreed

2. Bluffs are hardly of any value on the flop beyond setting up continuation to bluff on the turn and river. It's usually not until turn or river that your opponents will fold to a bluff.

3. Well yeah, if you're in micros and you're playing back with nothing, you will probably get burned. It's 90% about getting the most value for your hands, not outsmarting your opponents with tricky play.

4. If their aggression factor is low, then this is typcically true...on the turn or river. On the flop, if my hand is strong, check raisers get their sorry tails 3-betted. Also don't forget about halfway thinking players who checkraise to build pots on the flop when they have good draws.

5. If you can't handle the bad beats, then I suppose. Three in a row is nothing, it's all one big session. Toughen up mentally if it stings so much.

Those points may seem obvious, but a good deal of poker can be counter-intuitive.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 AM

I think limiting yourself to "only" playing hands a certain way means that you've recently been losing and that you feel you need to tweek your game to a machine-like weak tight player.

Take the post-it off the desk and replace it with:
"Good things happen to me all the time..."

If that doesnt work, make this your desktop image or avatar:
http://www.pokerplayer.se/images/phil2.jpg
Old 10-07-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
linky

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump the Kool-aid man.
HPFAP has a great section on this too.