Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Playing for a living (long)

Well Exit took the words out of my mouth. Have you talked to your wife. You seem pretty smart how your going about the whole thing so I imagine youve maybe talked to your wife but she has way more say so than if people on here tell you that its possible.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:55 PM

One important addition to the above. Some employers provide medical coverage for their employees. You probably have not had to provide your own medical insurance for yourself, wife, and kids. It varies with age, # in family, whether you smoke, etc etc, but I pay $18,000 for my wife and I for medical insurance with prescription coverage per year.

Doc
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 PM

Default A FOLLOW UP... (yes.... long again)

First of all, thank you to all that responded in whatever manner that you did. It is well appreciated.

To answer a few questions:

My wife is 100% behind me... no matter what I choose to do. She is very understanding, compassionate, and, dare I say.... much more than I could have ever hoped for in a spouse.

I was/am (I don't know how to put it right now) VP of a small business... family owned and operated. We have 3 funeral homes, under 2 seperate corporations. I was VP of the largest, with my dad being pres. To make a long story short, another employee started rumors about my wife, which I found out were false and unfounded, I confronted him (my dad) about it and demanded my wife be apologized to, he bitched about my bitching. I told him if he wanted me gone and outta there, all he had to do was say so. He replied "I do... leave."..... so... I left. I have been personally responsible for improving our profit margin by 30% over the last 4 years and implemented computers and many other numerous advances where we once had none and also bought into the business (a small amount... only 2% with a verbal contract that I would be sole owner in 5 years).Needless to say, I feel a bit betrayed.

I talked with my wife (and am sure we will have many talks) about our possibilities, both short term and long term. I do not plan to take any action whatsoever for at least a week, feeling that I want to see how things play out, but have decided not to return unless it's on my terms.

I have a Bachelor's Degree, and have more than 15 years experience, both in the funeral industry, and accounting, payroll, general management of a small business and numerous other job-related tasks in the business world. My wife feels I would be a great commodity to almost any business, due to my "life experience".

Poker is near the bottom of what I consider to be many options available to me right now, but is one that I would, at the very least, like to get some information about in regards to playing for a living, hence my OP. I understand fully the level of commitment and hours it would take to make a living at the 20's or 30's, and possibly even the 50's. What I am unsure about at this time is whether it may be worth it to me. For now, I plan to play a minimum of 30 hours a week for a month or 2 and see where the chips fall if I don't have a VP position still available at my present/former job. I think I will also post and send out some resumes in the next 2 weeks as "feelers" to determine what is out there for me.

Once again, thank you all for your replies, remarks, and taking the time to read and respond as you saw fit.

'Mez
Old 10-05-2005, 08:42 PM

Default David Ross posts

http://members.cox.net/cuff4u/david1.htm

Some guy posted David Ross's posts about going pro (about the first year's worth). Good info on what's involved, and the emotional swings that can come with playing poker for a living (and what it's like doing it while being married and having a family, etc.).

It's SH Limit vs. SNGs, and some of the games are different than they were a few years ago, but it should still you a good idea of what it is (or can be) like.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:49 PM

"well considering that almost 90% of the people that play them don't"

But most people don't play full time either. He could play 26-27 $22s a day and hit 15% (just a little work) to make 3k. 26-27 takes around 5 hrs 4tabling. It's definately doable, and becomes easy as if he adds a few tables and works on his game even more (say 20% 6tabling, 3k is a breeze).

" i could only imagine what it would be like if i had a family and mortgage."

Yeh true which should be the #1 reason he shouldn't do it. If his wife was comfortably making enough then I'd say take a few months and go for it, but it sounds like she isn't so he's got to be responsible (and get a real job). Get at least parttime work that makes what you need, and you can play poker on the side.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: A FOLLOW UP... (yes.... long again)

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Bachelor's Degree, and have more than 15 years experience, both in the funeral industry, and accounting, payroll, general management of a small business and numerous other job-related tasks in the business world. My wife feels I would be a great commodity to almost any business, due to my "life experience".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awsome. I definately think you will do far better getting a mangerial position in whatever position is availible. Poker is easy money for a while, but it does become a grind and you will probably find a real job far more fulfilling. In addition poker may not be such easy money in the future.

Your dad sounds like a dick, but the business sounds like it is in good shape. I would try to get my job back despite personality clashes. If your dad wants to be a prick thats his problem and you shouldn't be putting a fantastic job/company ownership on the line because if it, hard as it may seem. It appears the best course of actions is apologise (as much as it sucks and you don't mean it), retake job, convince your dad that he deserves an early retirement, regain control of the company and you are set without his nuisance.

If that fails, I would get a dual monitor setup so you get make a decent earn rate and play now while you are unemployed, but actively keep searching for employment as like a regional manager of a large funeral company or something.

Finally, you should have far more than 3 months saved up if he wants to fire you. He should be paying you a substansial package for your services over the years if he wants to fire you for such a trivial issue.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:33 PM

Yeh I agree your dad sounds like a real dick.

"I understand fully the level of commitment and hours it would take to make a living at the 20's or 30's, and possibly even the 50's"

If you put in the effort your goals are very realistic.

This is easily doable if you work on your game to make sure you at least a 15% player at the 22s, and add 2+ tables.

I'll give you some examples:

10% at the $22s, 4tabling for 30hrs a week would make you 2k a month.

Bump your skill up to 15%, and 6table gives you 4k a month.

Bump skill up to 20% and 8table gives you 7k per month.

Playing for a living, well you mainly just have to be diciplined in putting in the hours and in bankroll management, and make sure you have enough expenses saved in advance to comfortably ride out the dry patches.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:08 PM

poker can do a number on you psychologically. if your emotions are already upset because of the times with your dad, poker will probably do nothing but exacerbate those negative emotions.