Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2003, 09:57 PM

Default 50-100 Top Ten worst folds of all time

Haven't posted in a long time, but thought I'de share a hand with you from today. I'm playing 50-100, a limit I've only played a few times and perhaps a hair too large for my liking. I'm usually comfortable in 30-60 or so but decide to give this a shot as it's a rare game in these parts. The game is a tad too tight and on the aggressive side. Nevertheless, beatable as there were a couple of donators seated. Anyways, on with the hand.

I peak at an A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in EP and raise only to get reraised by a very aggressive regular(not a great player). BB calls the 3 bets cold and the three of us take the flop for 150 each.

Flop-9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB comes out with a bet which was a little surprising. I call with my two overcards and backdoor draw. Other player just calls. Hmmmmm, ok a cheap look at the turn.

Turn-9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets out once again. I was torn between raising and calling but decided to simply call the bet. Other player now comes to life and raises. BB goes 300 and I muck. Yes, you heard me, I folded.

Don't ask me why I decided not to play on with my hand. The only reason I can think of is that I was a tad gunshy as the limit was higher than I am used to. I was getting 7-1 direct odds to call with my flush draw and for some reason I mucked. Of course we all know a heart came on the end and my hand would drag a nice pot cracking KK and QQ. I honestly would be posting this if a heart had not hit on the end. I think I have the opposite weakness of many players. I make big stupid laydowns once in a while. Anyways, thought I would share my moment of stupidity with you so you'de all feel better about your game. Comments are fine, although I know it was dumb so no need to rub it in, lol.

PokerPrince
Old 09-29-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: 50-100 Top Ten worst folds of all time

Hi Prince,

good to hear that you are playing the 50 game and posting again. It's a live game, trust me -- or it was while I was playing there.

I'm not sure if your fold was so bad on the turn, but I think it was not very good. I would have been tempted to raise the turn, which makes the decision to call a 3 or 4 bet much easier.

-Diplomat
Old 09-29-2003, 10:10 PM

Let's not sugarcoat it Diplomat, retards know to call there. And yes I do think a turn raise is definately a viable option.

PokerPrince
Old 09-29-2003, 10:15 PM

Ok, let's not. But I do think the mistake was made by not raising the turn, and was followed up by not calling the turn. Compounding mistakes.

-Diplomat
Old 09-29-2003, 10:24 PM

Wow--folding a 12-outer. Sounds like a fold from me a few months ago. Perhaps raising the turn is ok, but you can't toss this one.

Did you forget that an ace might be an out as well as a heart?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 PM

I forgot I had a brain Mike, lol. Shellshocked a little at the limit I think. It will take a couple times to get more comfortable with it.

PokerPrince
Old 09-29-2003, 10:54 PM

Consider this as consolation. You didn't lose the entire
amount of the pot because a heart fell on the river. You
lost your equity in the pot (anything could have fell
on the river). You can further discount the cost of that
fold by considering the range of hands your opponents might
have held versus what they did have -- which is to say that
your equity varies over 15,12,9,8,7,6 and zero outs.
Also, after announcing a draw on the turn, your draw might
have been further punished.

All in all, that fold may cost less than folding
AA preflop. Ok. You're still a bozo, but you are vast
and contain multitudes, yea. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm curious about the pre-flop and flop play.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:37 PM

Default this is not a bad laydown.

if my math is correct youre getting 11.25 to 2 on an actual 11 or 12 outer but there is a decent chance you are drawing dead or considerably thinner, and/or that a bad card will come off that you have to pay off with (and maybe pay off a raise, and/or will have to call another bet on the turn (im assuming 4 bets is a cap). so it's very close between folding and calling from my analysis.

fine laydown.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:47 PM

I was waiting for someone to say that. I am certainly good enough to play in this limit but am still inexperienced playing with this much money. There is no 40-80 here so it just jumps up from 30 to 50. It's a pretty substantial difference but I feel I am ready. I honestly wasn't nervous or anything while playing, just in that particular hand when the guy said, 'three hundred' I froze up and mucked a hand I should never have mucked. Not the end of the world and I've learned from the mistake. I'll be playing that limit again.

PokerPrince
Old 09-29-2003, 11:48 PM

Let me try this a second time.

Despite the paired flop, there's no way I'm folding here.

The pot has 12.25 big bets in it when the turn action comes back to him for three bets. So, he's getting 6.125:1 to call. Unless you're putting somebody on a full house or better, folding is a very poor choice. Even when he has just 7 outs (5.57:1), he's got the proper pot odds to call. If the turn is guaranteed to get capped, he's getting 5.08:1 from the pot.

Sometimes he'll have just those seven outs. Sometimes he'll have no outs. But, there will be lots of times when he has all nine flush outs and many times when he has an addition three Ace overcard outs.

In order to make a fold in this hand good, you have to have a very specific read on a player which says you are drawing dead on the turn. Our hero didn't have that read so it's a bad fold.