Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: \"Did you address that to donkey?\"

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure he would appreciate the jesture of the autographed book for busting Barry out. He might take it as condescension and rubbing it in that he is not on Barry's level and doesn't have a mansion in Henderson, NV.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Pride and denial are quite good friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing random professional players to Barry Greenstein is akin to comparing me to David, Mason, or Ed just because I too do some poker writing...

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is no reason for nonsensical personal attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was out of line to say you have your head up Barry's butt. My apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could have posted without ever having said it, instead of posting and offering a half-hearted apology in the next sentence.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Doyle Brunson busts out Barry Greenstein, does Barry give Doyle an autographed copy of his book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry signs the book, hands it to Doyle, and giggles. Dyle takes it and giggles. A TV crew captures it and everyone at home says awwwwwww when it airs. If you don't want the book, just sell it on Ebay.

Well, I don't know that for certain, but I honestly don't see some sort of smackdown, the way some other folks see it.

ETA: My bad, DyessMan, it's been a while and kinda let myself get out of hand. I condensed the other ones as I saw fit.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:58 PM

Quick can you not quadruple post? Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comparing random professional players to Barry Greenstein is akin to comparing me to David, Mason, or Ed just because I too do some poker writing...

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this, but it might be considered arrogant and disrespectful to hand another professional player an autographed copy of your book after he busted you, especially if he is clearly not in the same class with you.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM

why all the hate on barry. i think its a very cool idea to gove a autographed book out.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure he would appreciate the jesture of the autographed book for busting Barry out. He might take it as condescension and rubbing it in that he is not on Barry's level and doesn't have a mansion in Henderson, NV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then that's his problem for having such an undeveloped ego.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand this, but it might be considered arrogant and disrespectful to hand another professional player an autographed copy of your book after he busted you, especially if he is clearly not in the same class with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread has been way off base from my point of view.

I constantly get players (well-known or otherwise) pleading with me for a copy of my book when I play in tournaments. (Most poker players don't frequent book stores or order books online as much as you people on 2+2 do.)

I don't personally sell copies of my book, but when I go to a tournament, I carry a couple of copies around for media personnel and one for a bounty. I did this bounty thing to show that a professional acts like a good sport when he gets knocked out. He doesn't badmouth his opponent or kick over chairs. When I first started doing this at the WSOP, players often got upset if our table broke and they no longer had a chance at the book. Someone once called my four-times-the-big-blind all-in raise with 7-2 offsuit just to try to win the book. Since that time, I started putting the book under my chair and not saying anything, because I felt I might be getting unfair extra action because of the bounty.

I have gotten several appreciative e-mails from people who have gotten the bounty. The best known player who got one is Jennifer Harman, who beat my pocket Aces at the Bicycle WPT. Players who already own the book often say that if they knock me out they will keep the autographed copy for themselves and give away their other copy.

I have never had any hint that anyone thought I was doing something arrogant until I read this thread.

Barry
Old 10-05-2005, 02:22 AM

I think part of the misunderstanding in the thread is that people think I am giving just an autographed copy of the book. What I actually do, is write a synopsis of the hand that I went broke on, so the winner is able to enjoy that hand in the future. My signature is included only to authenticate it.

Barry
Old 10-05-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think part of the misunderstanding in the thread is that people think I am giving just an autographed copy of the book. What I actually do, is write a synopsis of the hand that I went broke on, so the winner is able to enjoy that hand in the future. My signature is included only to authenticate it.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't agree with BG 100% of the time...I don't get the big deal here. I think this would be a great treat. Would you guys cry if Doyle gave you an autographed copy of SS? I don't think so. I think this is a lot better than, like he said, flipping over chairs or taking the chair cover off and swinging it around or even falling backwards onto the table and almost breaking it in half. Why do you assume this is arrogance or something other than a souvenir, possibly a publicity stunt, and from the sounds of it EV+.