Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: You are Spreading a LIE which makes you a _____?

The doc is big business. If all the blacks were gone, then law enforcement would selectively enforce against other minorities or poor whites. The crinme rate wouldn't drop at all. Bennett's example clearly demonstrates his racist beliefs. It's very clear that you share his point of view. This isn't surprising.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Since When is Gambling a Sin?

He's a conservative (fool in my opinion) ........ and a hypocritical big-stakes gambling addict.
Bill Bennett is a catholic.
Has he ever condemn gambling?.......No
Is gambling a sin according to the catholic church?...No
Does not many catholic churches used Bingo to raise money?

A hypocrite is a person that advocates against an act and yet does that same act. Since Bill Benett never condemn gambling, he was free to be a high stakes gambler without being labled a hypocrite.......

When his high stakes gambling became public, he caved to the criticism and gave it up. If anything he could be accused of being a coward for giving into the pressure. If it was me I would say I'm rich and financially I'm set for life, I have a lot of disposable income, and gambling in Las Vegas is a lot of fun. So I will continue to frequent Vegas. In short, I have nothing to apologize for. End-of-Story.

Are all poker players on this site that are christians hypocrites because they play poker?......No
It amazes me how petty the American left can be towards conservatives.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Since When is Gambling a Sin?

I can't believe no one has commented on Bennett's obvious contradiction. In his first sentence, he rejects the "abortion lessens crime" hypothesis. The next sentence, he suggests that if you perform abortions on blacks, the crime rate will drop. Huh?

Also, many of y'all need to read Freakonomics before commenting on it. The authors never advocated abortion as a means to control crime, they just noted the correlation between them. The author's stated purpose was to bring microeconomics and its "new directions" to the forefront of american thought, and he did this by drawing correlations between seemingly unrelated data.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 PM

<<<big-stakes gambling addict>>>
Yes. .. damn gamblers. They shouldn't be allowed to have any public policy opinions. Any gambler is obviosuly unfit for public service or for opinion-based talk radio. Who would possiby want to listen to a stinkin gambler anyway???

What forum am I at???
Old 10-04-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<<<big-stakes gambling addict>>>
Yes. .. damn gamblers. They shouldn't be allowed to have any public policy opinions. Any gambler is obviosuly unfit for public service or for opinion-based talk radio. Who would possiby want to listen to a stinkin gambler anyway???

What forum am I at???

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have missed the word "addict." BTW, addicts obviously do make good radio talk show hosts. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

-ptmusic
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has commented on Bennett's obvious contradiction. In his first sentence, he rejects the "abortion lessens crime" hypothesis. The next sentence, he suggests that if you perform abortions on blacks, the crime rate will drop. Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he rejected "abortion lowers crime" as morally repugnant and concluded that it should not be considered. Then he considers the case of aborting black babies to further show how the idea is immoral. But why black babies? Aborting all white babies would lower crime more than twice as much as aborting all black babies, as an article in USA Today pointed out. I think throwing in the correlation of blacks to crime was stupid at best on his part (and at worse, racist), if he thought the correlation was a result of economics, then again just say poor people. This comment, however unintentionally racist, requires an apology. Certainly more warranting of an apoloy than Dick Durbin's comments earlier this year, for which he did apologize.

This guy was the Secretary of Education? That dosen't reflect to well on GHWB.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:14 PM

What dont people get about the fact that blacks commit disproportionate number of the crimes in this country?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has commented on Bennett's obvious contradiction. In his first sentence, he rejects the "abortion lessens crime" hypothesis. The next sentence, he suggests that if you perform abortions on blacks, the crime rate will drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am amazed this contradiction was overlooked aswell. That is why it was so offensive.

[ QUOTE ]
BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

He states that there is no evidence that increasing the number of abortions would decrease crime but then turns around and says "I do know" increasing the number of abortions of black babies would reduce crime. The right wing attempt to explain this by saying he was engaging in theoretical extrapolations and blah blah misses the fact that he said "i do know" as if fact.

Imagine of Jesse Jackson said "some people think if there weren't as many males the number of child molestations would go down. I don't think there is evidence to support this. but I do know that if you aborted every white male baby the number of child molesters would decrease in the future."
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Imagine of Jesse Jackson said "some people think if there weren't as many males the number of child molestations would go down. I don't think there is evidence to support this. but I do know that if you aborted every white male baby the number of child molesters would decrease in the future."

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have a problem with that and I think a lot of people would.

But if he said:

[ QUOTE ]

Imagine of Jesse Jackson said "some people think if there weren't as many males the number of child molestations would go down. I don't think there is evidence to support this. but I do know that if you aborted every white male baby the number of child molesters would decrease in the future. But, this is an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do. So idea like this are not worth thinking about

[/ QUOTE ]

I pat him on the back for being reasonable.

Make it a fair analogy.

-Gryph
Old 10-04-2005, 05:09 PM

Sorry I left that part out. I would still say it is an offensive statement by Jackson for the same reasons as I say that Bennett.