Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 PM

Default big multi-way pot with turned bottom straight, how did I do?

Can I get away from this at all? I think my river min raise was kind of dumb but I had them on like two pair or set and thought a push might cause them to fold. The guy with 22 asked me if I had ak and called anyways since the odds were so good so that might have been a good decision but I don't know. After the hand the 22 guy berated me for playing so terrible and that my river raise was aweful so I thought I'd check. IMO k9 guy was the biggest donk in the hand but I may have been donking it as well.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

MP3 ($39.50)
CO ($212.80)
Button ($81.50)
SB ($43.38)
BB ($235.25)
UTG ($200.05)
UTG+1 ($100.50)
Hero ($110.70)
MP1 ($290.40)
MP2 ($40.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $3, UTG+1 calls $3, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($21.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($21.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, UTG+1 calls $10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, CO folds, UTG calls $30, UTG+1 calls $30.

River: ($141.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $25</font>, UTG+1 calls $25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>, UTG calls $25, UTG+1 calls $25.

Final Pot: $291.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 2c 2d (three of a kind, twos).
UTG+1 has Kd 9c (straight, king high).
Hero has 8d 9d (straight, queen high).
MP2 has Kc Ac (straight, ace high).
Outcome: MP2 wins $291.50. </font>

Edit: Damn converter, for some reason it doesn't show mp2s all-in by calling my 40$ raise on the turn. He won a side pot not the whole pot.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: big multi-way pot with turned bottom straight, how did I do?

Honestly I hate how you played this hand.

Preflop easy fold in a 10 handed game.

Flop: easy check

Turn: Duh, you have the idiot end of the straight. Call or fold. Raising is NOT an option here.

River: Again, he bets into you. He has your hand beat and it should be a fold as well. Especially with a call and two more to act behind you.

Now that I've read the results:

I'm not amazed you were beat. UTG was taking control with an obvious dominated hand. He's the donk for sure, but I think you're right there with him. There are too many people left in this hand. What did you think they kept calling raises and reraises with? One pair? Two pair? Bad thinking on your part, and just bad playing. You should be able to get away from hands like this with no problem. Your opponents actions told you to fold (not just UTG).
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 PM

Well I knew the short stack had AK once he insta called my all-in on the turn but there was a big side pot with two full stacks who were both being very passive. UTG did to me an obvious blocking bet on the river so I was quite sure he had a set or two pair, and the other guy played so incredibly passively how could I put him on a straight. He didn't even push the river. So yes its very very easy to put them on sets/two pairs the way they played it.

That being said I think you have a good argument for just folding the turn. Calling isn't an option, if I thought I should call I should raise. I don't quite understand why I'd fold pre though since I have suited connectors, its multiway, and 3$ to me to call.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:49 PM

The only real argument for folding preflop is that you aren't sure of the action behind you. If you were in LP, I don't think calling is bad at all, but being in MP I think folding is the right thing to do.

After you called and it was raised behind you... there is no folding. Too many people are in the hand and you're getting odds to go for suited connectors. But calling the original bet before it was raised is what I don't like.

Just my thoughts of course.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 PM

Yeah you might be right on that one, I called because of the limps before me, didn't really consider the action after me. But first to act in mp with a suited connector I always fold.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:02 AM

Well now that I've thought about it I guess it's just too likely that somebody out there has AK, prob best to just fold and wait for better.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:00 AM

Usually that's all it takes is a bit of extra thought and you'll figure out where you went wrong. This game has a lot to do with situations and instinct. More often than not you know what's right for your own game.