Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Limping QQ under the gun

Obviously it can be right. If people don't see how it can be right, they fundamentally do not understand poker. Especially deep stack poker.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 AM

well... I want you to explain it to me TWP, because maybe I don't get it.

The *only* reason I think you should limp is for reraise preflop value, or set value. Is there another reason?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:38 AM

The main reason is position and pot control. If you're playing OOP against tough opponents with deep stacks you don't really want to play a big pot with just one pair. So you can limp QQ and then try to play a small pot if you flop an overpair or a big one if you flop a set. Seems reasonable to me. I'm not saying I wouldn't raise it, because of course I would, but I am saying that I may also limp it. No reason not to. I don't think you give up a lot by not raising it preflop and if you gain something postflop it is almost certainly worth it.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason is position and pot control. If you're playing OOP against tough opponents with deep stacks you don't really want to play a big pot with just one pair. So you can limp QQ and then try to play a small pot if you flop an overpair or a big one if you flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this sums up basically everything I've been trying to say.

I really have a problem with brevity, can you tell? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying I wouldn't raise it, because of course I would

[/ QUOTE ]
This made me laugh. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Aseem
Old 10-04-2005, 02:37 AM

Thanks, this is good reasoning
Old 10-04-2005, 04:51 AM

I remember back in the day in the UB games raising anything other than AA / KK UTG could get you in a lot of trouble. Admittedly the stacks were only 100BB, but the texture of the game just made raising QQ or JJ from EP really unfavorable.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember back in the day in the UB games raising anything other than AA / KK UTG could get you in a lot of trouble. Admittedly the stacks were only 100BB, but the texture of the game just made raising QQ or JJ from EP really unfavorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on what texture those games had?

Aseem
Old 10-04-2005, 05:05 AM

the games were really tight. Lot of nutpeddlers. Now, initially this sounds like a game in which you want to be raising anything from any position, but there is another condition.

I was/am a beginning player. And to LAG it up against very carefull opponents you need a great ounce of skill, and a great ounce of not getting married to your pairs.

For that reason I kept myself out of trickey situations. For example, if I know I'm only going to get called by hands I'm a small favorite or a big dogg against in these games I'm going to refrain from building a big pot with hands that are quite vulnurable, such as QQ or JJ. Escpecially in these games they were hands with which I stood to win a little or lose a whole lot.

So the perfect situation for limping my QQ and JJ UTG was not due to table texture alone, but also had a great deal to do with my own overall skill, or lack thereof.

The reason I thought the texture of the game influenced my decision was as followed: if I raise that QQ UTG, and (apart from me flopping a set) I get action on the hand beyond the flop, more often that not I have to let the hand go. And if this was the case, I might as well have been raising with 72o in that position. Because if it were to come to a showdown with these players I would by far more oftne be looking at a better hand than mine rather than a worse one.