Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 10:30 PM

Default AJ-10o, KQ-Jo in EP....

This is a very general question, and one I am almost embarased to ask.
When you are dealt the range of hands AJ-10o, KQ-Jo, what is your play from positions utg, utg+1, utg+2, at a full(9-10) table??

I would be interested, as there are no specific hands as an example, to hear the criteria for raising, folding,limping [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] or pushing. i.e. - above average at a tight table(raise), M under 3(push).
Maybe it's too much to ask, for such a detailed responsed, although I think this discussion would be interesting.

Let's give those who don't want to give all the criteria for all the options for a very general situation. You are at mid point of a mtt. You have a average or slightly below average chipstack. The table is fairly tight, but not pushovers. blinds 75/150, your stack ~2500.
You are dealt AQ-10, KQ-Jo, in one of the first three postions, UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2..... your play??
Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: AJ-10o, KQ-Jo in EP....

I don't think you can treat AQo and KJo the same. A push from EP with KJ is clearly -EV while AQ is quite a bit better.

Also, a lot depends on the buyin and type of tournament. If its a lower buyin ($1-11) I think many people would call with a range that favors your AQ. Also if your playing a rebuy it is definitely +EV.

If I have an average stack I'm generally folding AJo,ATo, KQo, and KJo from EP and raising w/ AQ 3-4 BB. A lot of this is dependent on your image though.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 PM

Removed AQ... put it in by mistake.

Let's say tit is $30-$100 buy-in,Even our LAGish 2+2ers are folding in this situation??
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 PM

In a tournament I would be inclined to be more Aggressive, in a ring game I would be inclined to Fold.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 PM

KJ and AT are generally mucks in EP. AJ I might get a little frisky with.

If my stack is getting dicey I'm willing to gamble with these hands, but if you have a healthy stack there's no need to bleed a single chip.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 PM

At these levels, I definitely raise AQ and AJ, probably AT and KQ. KJ gets a little iffy. I'm more inclined to raise than fold depending on certain factors, including how my table responds to raises from EP, if I'm UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, stack sizes, etc. The more things that improve my chances of taking the pot down preflop, the better.