Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Mirage 10-20: Nobody likes the way I play A4o

I posted a Mirage 10-20 hand in Small Stakes in which my play with A4o was questioned. Today, I had another A4o hand and I'm sure the same people aren't going to like this one either.

The game has been too tight and I'm on the table change list.

The hand:

Everybody folds to me on the button and I raise with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Small Blind folds. Big Blind calls.

The flop is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Big Blind checks. I bet hoping I'll take it down right away. Big Blind calls.

The turn is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Big Blind checks. I bet again with the same hope but get check-raised.

Your play?
Old 09-27-2003, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Mirage 10-20: Nobody likes the way I play A4o

I'm with you Dynasty. On the button, you had to take a shot at that one. If you had limped in, you wouldn't have gained any information, and post-flop play would have been a crap shoot.

Heads up with this guy on the flop and he checks, you had to take a punch at him.

By the turn, I would have put him on A-K, and chasing a big pair. What kind of player was he?

You hit him again, and I would have, as well!

He check-raised you!(?) Prior to that, he had given you no reason to believe that he had a hand.

So much for the pocket high cards theory! Now I would have to put him on 4-6s.

If he was a really weak player, I'd guess that he called your opening bet with 4-6 suited in the poket, and hit a little runner-runner straight on you.

Old 09-27-2003, 08:26 PM

A description of the big blind would be helpful. Is he capable of bluff checkraising the turn putting you on AK? In general, this is a fold against players who won't get that spunky and possibly against those that would. I mean, what do you have really...you raised in steal position, but u could have a Queen easily (AQ, KQ, QJ, Q10, etc) yet he still check calls the flop and checkraises the turn. This pot is very small and I think in most cases I would fold to his turn raise unless you have a VERY good read he is bluffing. Then 3-bet. But this would be rare with this board and this spot against most opponents. Your gutter outs and ace aren't enough to me.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2003, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A description of the big blind would be helpful

[/ QUOTE ]

Since players weren't playing too many hands, I didn't have any significant read on this guy. At the time, I assumed he was a typical 10-20 player.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:37 PM

I disliked your hand in small stakes but I don't see what's wrong with this one at all.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:54 PM

Hey Dynasty,

If the big blind is a good, thinking player who respects your play, I'd strongly consider three-betting. If that description is accurate, I think that the chances that he put you on a steal and thus was trying to re-steal are fairly good.

If the big blind does not fit that description, I think that it's close between calling and folding. There are 6.25 BBs in the pot, your ace may or may not be a clean out, and there's even a chance that he has 64. Since you're leaving the table soon, I think that you can fold, because you don't have to worry about the fold encouraging people to take shots at you more often.

Hope it worked out.

ML4L
Old 09-27-2003, 09:08 PM

Big Blind checks. I bet again with the same hope but get check-raised.

Call and hope to spike a deuce, six or an Ace. You have eight clean outs and three additional possibly tainted outs. You can reraise, however I do not see EV with that play.

He most likely has KQ, JQ or Q 10.

Old 09-27-2003, 09:37 PM

10-20 is small stakes, eh?

Call and hope you get an ace or make your straight.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:55 PM

You have more than enough odds to call the turn, you have openender and an ace is probably good too, so you have 11 outs. I think i'd fold the river unless you improve.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:51 PM

Hi Dynasty,
I don't see what's wrong with your play here. Call and raise him if a 2 or 6 comes off, an ace would be a call, but you can't like it much. But if this player could be making a re-steal here (not too likely against the typical 10-20 player), re-raise occasionally with your good draw and bet the river.