Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 PM

Default The 75 000 year old man.

[ QUOTE ]
Prosecutors are seeking jail terms of nearly 75,000 years

[/ QUOTE ]

From AP Link

(Not making light of this story, but....)

Would this come down a bit upon appeal? I think you'd have to go for it.

Would you get time off for good behaviour? If I were sentenced to 75 000 years I would seriously consider firing my lawyer. When can he apply for parole? Locally, in Toronto, we have the Don Jail which has such bad conditions that judges give prisoners 2 or 3 times credit for time served if they are in the Don. Would it be beneficial for the guy to go to this kind of institution? Would it be worth it to attend all the rehab courses in the clink?

So, I figure good behaviour; appeals; medical conditions; early parole; bad conditions; death in family; rehab meetings, etc, he can get it down to a quick 3200 years, easy.

"Is that sentence plus or minus a day, judge?"
"I hold you in contempt, chalk on another 30 days."
"[censored] you."

Would you even bother to mark the days in your cell, or maybe just one tick for every decade to make sure it would all fit?

Assuming that we can keep the guy alive for the length of the sentence wouldn't evolutionary factors come into play?

Sentences of this type making an obvious political statement make me laugh.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: The 75 000 year old man.

[ QUOTE ]

...such bad conditions that judges give prisoners 2 or 3 times credit for time served if they are in the Don...

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadians! My new idols! You go guys! Bartender, another round of whatever the hell these people want! On my tab!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Canadians! My new idols! You go guys! Bartender, another round of whatever the hell these people want! On my tab!

[/ QUOTE ]

eh?

Don Jail

It's actually very bad there and I know why they give out triple time.

[ QUOTE ]
A Toronto judge has blasted the aging and overcrowded Toronto (Don) Jail, calling the facility "an embarrassment to the Canadian criminal justice system." Mr. Justice Richard Schneider made the comment yesterday just before he sentenced a 25-year-old man to one day in jail, followed by nine months of house arrest, after he waved a handgun on a busy Toronto street.

Schneider said the jail didn't even meet the minimum standards for housing prisoners as laid out by the United Nations.

The judge went on to condemn the practice of putting three inmates in a cell designed for one person , and then keeping them locked up for days on end without letting them out for exercise

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical cell, picture with bunk bed and a guy sleeping on the floor. I read that a few times they put a guy sleeping UNDER the bunk beds to make 4 to a cell.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:25 PM

What kind of accommodations would you like to provide for a murderer or rapist?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-03-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Canada, other than death row, I would say that our accomodations are as good or as bad for offenders in the States if that's what you're getting at, but the (off topic) point of the Don Jail is that it is a municipal jail where there would be no convicted murderers there but rather many suspects awaiting trial, deportation cases, short term drug offenders and all housed in a Victorian era run down jail.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:34 AM

I assumed it was a federal penitentiary. Knowing that it's not, I agree that the conditions are a bit harsh.

However, if it was meant for violent offenders then I like El Barto's cell design.