Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: $ 100 MTT: Would you fold AK preflop here?

What was your reasoning behind folding AK here?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:51 PM

mula.

maybe this is why I never finish in the middle of the FT... I like coinflips here. I figure, you only get to a FT every so often, make the most of it, when you just might have the best of it.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Reason: I thought I was up against a medium pair and didn’t wanna risk half my stack at this point on a coin toss. But more than anything it was the good old gut feeling.

I eliminated the guy later with a theoretically more questionable play when I called both him and another small stack all-in preflop with QJs. One held AT, the other pocket sixes that turned into a straight - I made a runner runner flush. But at his point I was the big stack and covered both guys 10 times.

It might be weak tight, but every now and then I fold big hands even if I have the odds to call. The only thing I can do is blame on the gut.

D.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I really folded AK... I woulda said something like... "guh! you have to pick the one time I have T2o to push, change the 2 to a 9 and I insta-call ".

[/ QUOTE ]

If I choose to make a comment.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Your play makes no sense at all. You fold AK to a small stack all-in yet you call 2 all-ins with QJs? You were very lucky to even be at the final table.

I agree with the previous poster to push all-in to isolate the small stack who is all-in. At the final table the small stack should push with many differents hands to steal blind that can add to his stack. You had an excellent opportunity to add to your stack and improve you chance of winning. The goal at the final table is to win and not just survive.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reason: I thought I was up against a medium pair and didn’t wanna risk half my stack at this point on a coin toss. But more than anything it was the good old gut feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your gut is scared. Perhaps you aren't feeding it well. Putting the guy on a specific hand that makes you an underdog is a way to justify a fold; you will find many more hands here that you will dominate.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm the small stack here I am pushing with AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, maybe even KJ, because I'm desperate for chips and need to take my chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pushing a hell of a lot more than that. I'm about to lose one-third of my stack, so it's time to make a move. I think Ax, most Ks, any pair of course, and a large number of suited and unsuited connectors and one-gappers are acceptable.

To sum, if I have AK in your spot I'm coming over the top 100% of the time.