Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Stars 500k QQ hand.. ummm

I don't think check/folding the flop is correct. There are no overcards on the board, so if you're calling the preflop reraise and folding here, what exactly are you hoping for? If you only want to play if you flop a set, then it's a bad move to call the reraise preflop in the first place. The board has some possibly dangerous draws, so a checkraise on the flop or simply a leadout bet looks like the right play to me.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:30 PM

as others have said, i like calling the flop and leading the turn. I don't think any worse hands will raise your turn bet, but i think a lot of the time (on the internet) most of the hands that are beating you will raise.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:15 PM

It's not that he didn't hit a set, it's that this flop is so totally bad for him, since AA, KK, JJ and TT now leads, and AK is the one hand he beats.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that he didn't hit a set, it's that this flop is so totally bad for him, since AA, KK, JJ and TT now leads, and AK is the one hand he beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

thankyou. some people seem to not understand this. holla
Old 10-03-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so yer content to check fold a river for less than 500? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'll check call. If you bet you win the pot only when your hand is best, and (save a few rare cases like this one) you dont get 500 more chips when you do, just the immediate pot. If you check/call you win when you're best plus extra chips. You still lose to better hands for (probably) the same price.

But the real critical point in this hand is the flop, not the river. I'm not loving the bet/fold (unless its a pretty strong bet) because there's just too much of a chance of him minraising you again. I mean I highly doubt the guy who "scarily" takes control of the pot with a preflop minraise has any plans of folding the flop. UNLESS you take control of the pot again and make a strong bet. A lead I just don't think accomplishes that. But a checkraise might.

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he bets 600? do you check call 600? if yes, how much do you call. i dont like this at all. holla
Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Default a turn check raise..

would anyone consider after seeing his little girlie bet making it around 650-700 on the turn? thats about the only other way i see to play the hand from that standpoint. holla
Old 10-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: a turn check raise..

[ QUOTE ]
would anyone consider after seeing his little girlie bet making it around 650-700 on the turn? thats about the only other way i see to play the hand from that standpoint. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn is EXACTLY what jumped out at me first. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned more. That t120 screams weakness and I was shocked to see you didn't check raise him here. Especially you Raptor.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so yer content to check fold a river for less than 500? holla

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'll check call. If you bet you win the pot only when your hand is best, and (save a few rare cases like this one) you dont get 500 more chips when you do, just the immediate pot. If you check/call you win when you're best plus extra chips. You still lose to better hands for (probably) the same price.

But the real critical point in this hand is the flop, not the river. I'm not loving the bet/fold (unless its a pretty strong bet) because there's just too much of a chance of him minraising you again. I mean I highly doubt the guy who "scarily" takes control of the pot with a preflop minraise has any plans of folding the flop. UNLESS you take control of the pot again and make a strong bet. A lead I just don't think accomplishes that. But a checkraise might.

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

what if he bets 600? do you check call 600? if yes, how much do you call. i dont like this at all. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how much I call, but do you agree that check/calling is better than betting? I doubt that he bets much over 500 if you check to him, given how the hand's played out and how donkish he's proven himself.

Also would like to see your reaction to my flop argument. I don't know what line you like anymore.

Evertt
Old 10-03-2005, 03:45 PM

I think a check raise here would have been a great path to take in this hand. Your opponent just showed a lot of weakness. After what could have eaisly been a continuation bet on the flop they've made this little weak bet on the turn. This bet looks alot like AK hoping A high is good. He doens't want to check the turn because if the river blanks then you may automatically bet pushing him off his hand. This way you may check the river and he can get to a cheap showdown even if he misses.

If he comes back over the top on the turn I drop the hand though as he was probably looking to induce a bet on a trap. If he calls and then the ace hits I think you have to check as I'm not sure what you're beating any more.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you check-folding to a decent size bet?