Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: This goes without saying,

Successful spectacular check-raises that are noticed by the opponents should tend to [1] let you check-raise bluff later, and [2] let you get more free cards when you need them. Advertising with a check-raise should NOT be done in order for you to NOT get paid off when you check-raise later (with a good hand).

A note on [2]: cowering them into checking a pair on the flop is a BAD thing if you figure to fire on the turn if the flop is checked around (you figure your AQ is good since there was no flop bet). Making a play for a "free" card later doesn't do any good if you figure to invest even if you don't hit.

- Louie
Old 09-25-2003, 10:11 PM

Location: The land where the sun never sets, and marriage is - as it should be - a 4-letter word
Default Point taken - and you are (as usual) correct, but . . .

in the loooooooose games I often find myself in, being able to steal even an occasional pot is (or would seem to be) much more valuable than snagging an extra bet or two.

Getting these people to call is SELDOM a problem.

Often I will go for hours without even contemplating (let alone making) a "play" at the pot; I just sit back (yawn) and wait for the inevitable big hand (and the big pot which accompanies it).

That said, it sure is nice to add an extra 5-6 bets to my stack if the "perfect" [bluffing] situation DOES arise.

Good to be back - missed ya Louie,

- H
Old 09-26-2003, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Bulldozing your way to a pot

i'll use a check-raise if i think it might give my opponents more reason to fold, instead of calling down my obvious bluff.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Believable Representation

I guess I forgot to point out that he hardly every bluffs, and everyone knows it. He's had no problem raising with AK, getting called heads up with the blind, and checking it down.

Never-the-less the ratio of bluffs-to-value-bets in the situation I described was pretty big.

- Louie