Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 11:22 PM

Default ok to slowplay here?

B&M 2/4. I'm in BB w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. 5 or 6 callers preflop and I check.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets. I call. 3 more callers. SB folds.

Turn: blank (meaning I can't remember, except that it wasn't a club)

SB checks. I bet and get 3 callers.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, get the same 3 callers, and win the pot.

Is it OK to just call the flop here? I generally try not to slowplay big hands (partly because of the good arguments people have made here against it), but surely in this situation you don't want to make everyone call 2 bets, right?

I think betting out was the right choice for the turn and river, since it was a pretty passive table and I think there is a good chance it would have been checked around if I checked.

I've been wondering what I would have done if SB had bet out on the turn, though. With 3 or 4 callers, would you just call it all the way to the river? Or raise and hope you get people with smaller flush draws (or whatever they are chasing) to come along?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:40 PM

Default Re: ok to slowplay here?

I know I'm looking in the closet for monsters here, but I wouldn't want to give anyone holding the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] any more of a free ride than what's allowable. I raise the flop here.

You've got a great hand, but IMO, not one you can afford to get too cute with. There's a huge difference between A-high and K-high flushes.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:51 PM

Location: The land where the sun never sets, and marriage is - as it should be - a 4-letter word
Default True, but . . .

1. The Ac usually will not be out there.

2. When it is it will pay any amount to stay in; for this reason it is usually better to wait until the turn to raise.

If the flop bettor does not fire at the turn then just bet it yourself.

3. If you raise the flop you will frequently drive out hands that have almost no chance to beat you (top pair, straight draws, etc.).

4. (Actually an extension of "3") If you raise here you will get ALOT less action when your hand does stand up - which it usually will.

Best wishes,

- H
Old 09-26-2003, 12:14 AM

Default Thank you

I needed someone to fling open the closet door and light up a cigarette while in there to show me that the monsters aren't always there.

Point 3 is an excellent one. In this situation again, I'll simply call/bet the flop and look to checkraise the turn.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:01 AM

I would play exactly the same.
Lee Jones said that if you made a non-nut flush on the flop, you need to play quickly (because of the overcard of the same suit). But this is somewhat different case since:
1. SB already fires out and if you raise here, you have to consider losing some callers which has little chance to catch you.
2. you are only afraid of Ac here and he is getting odds to call 2 cold on the flop. Why not try to charge him 2 cold on the turn instead?
just my thoughts. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2003, 02:16 PM

I think you played the hand fine.

I also would have waited until the turn to raise. On the turn you must bet out. Anyone with a club will call you, and if someone does my some chance hold the Ace of trump you want to charge them.

I do not think this qualifies as a slow play. Had you checked the turn looking for a check raise, then I would say you slow played the hand.

I think you played this pretty routinely. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~mg~