Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Definition of \"ABC\" poker?

I have a specific reason for my opinion on bankrolls - and I have explained it here:

THE BRAIN AND POKER

Basically, it boils down to the fact that if you are playing at limits higher than what your bankroll can manage, it is extremely likely to affect your play because you will be overly attached to your immediate financial gains and losses.

You say "Show me a poker player who is rigid in their poker beliefs, and I'll show you a losing player." I say show me an undisciplined poker player and I will show you someone who will never be a winning poker player in the long term."
Old 09-30-2005, 12:53 PM

I read your linked post.

[ QUOTE ]
it boils down to the fact that if you are playing at limits higher than what your bankroll can manage, it is extremely likely to affect your play

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the person. Each person will react differently. Moreover, I've known many players who had way more than the theoretically required roll to play a higher level, but they weren't ready to psychologically.

I just think you are trying to reduce poker down to too few variables, and to isolate those variables from each other. Poker isn't that simple. There are many variables, and they all effect each other in ways that are subtle or gross.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:00 PM

But what I am saying is not about the variables at play at the poker table - it is all about where your attachment lies - and if your bankroll is too small for your level, then I believe it is extremely likely that you will become overly attached to short-term financial outcomes.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what I am saying is not about the variables at play at the poker table - it is all about where your attachment lies - and if your bankroll is too small for your level, then I believe it is extremely likely that you will become overly attached to short-term financial outcomes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly agree.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:12 AM

Always Be CLOSING
Old 10-02-2005, 10:32 AM

Both poor bankroll management and poor postflop play stem from the same root problem.

-----------

"No bankroll is large enough for a losing player."

A bad (losing) player can benefit from learning bankroll management, as it will force them to move down in limits while they are learning to play better.

Knowledgable players who don't understand the importance of bankroll management are bound to lose thiers.

Winning players both play well and manage their roll properly.

-------------

Both player faults stem from a tendancy to deceive oneself.