Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 06:43 PM

Default NO LIMIT VS. LIMIT RING GAMES

I have found that NO LIMIT games online are a way better payoff for me than limit ring games. Also the bankroll can be much lower. Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: NO LIMIT VS. LIMIT RING GAMES

sure, if you are good at making the right play in close decisions and reading players well, no limit is a much better game for winning big, relative to the stakes played, than limit. the only problem is that few beginners develop these skills well, so they are better off in limit where one hand will not make such a major difference in their daily result.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:57 PM

I tend to think that no limit has a smaller variance. This might be strange, but I think this is the case because you can kick players off of flush and straight draws much more easily. In no limit and pot limit the best hand after the flop will win more often then in ring games. Also, when I play NL and PL I am much more selective with which hands I will push, which generally means they have a better chance of holding up at showdown compared to ring games. Furthermore, calculated bluffs will win more more often.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:21 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Welcome on board lad, you have been blessed!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:03 PM

Do you have to be a fairly exeperienced (or talented) player to do fairly well in no limit games? I mean pretty much anybody can be learn to beat limit poker, but I think no limit might take more learning.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 PM

It takes a lot more discipline when you are being bet into, and a lot more balls when it's being checked to you.

By discipline I basically mean you need to fold when anyone decent shoves their stack. They always have you beat. (maniacs are obviously another story).

By needing bigger balls, I mean that you need to be able to bet hands like top pair, otherwise people will know that you only bet when you have the nuts. Also, another mistake people make is not betting an amount based on the pot size. Some people's max bet in .50/1 NL is $10. Normally this is a lot, but it's nothing if there's $60 in the pot. You need to be willing to bet the pot a lot, especially when there's draws on the board.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:43 PM

i know some friends that may learn to beat limit games, but they just do not have the card sense or discipline to ever be successful no limit players.

then again, it's a good thing these people exist, because along with those who refuse to learn, they keep the games good.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 PM

If only I could work out why limit is easier than no limit I'd be very happy.

It's all about what you are used to, to me no limit is elementary, and limit is like doing complex algebra during an argument with Ramashiva whilst standing on my head and having the whole of the KGC fire arrows at me.

Lori
Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 AM

The worst no limit and pot limit players tell you exactly what they have by how much they bet. IF they have an ordinary hand they bet small, a good hand medium, the nuts they go all in, and so on. One of the secrets to no limit and pot limit is to always be consistent with how much you bet, so you don't give your opponent a clue what you have. It takes big ones to bet the pot limit with not very much, but it often needs to be done with top pair or something like that. Once you get a call in these circumstances its a different story, you are usally beat.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:48 AM

TommyR

Very good to see you back, I was asking a few months ago to some people i chat with where you've gone and nobody knew. I remember when i was starting out i did quite a lot of looking at your site for ideas because i trusted the info.

A lot has gone on lately here at the zoo and Matt implemented a new rule about no direct links in your sig. so you may get some flack for that.

Good to see you back.

edit...i just went and checked out the site and its time for some updates in the promo section.