Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Is this unprofessional?

[ QUOTE ]
Don't make a show of it yourself, by closing your eyes, if you're can't handle other people making a show of it, with jokes.

By closing his eyes, this player ended any pretense of 'professionalism' for that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break, its not the tournament directors spot to say what is proper and what isnt. Why the hell cant a player close his or her eyes if they want to?

When someone complains after a bad beat, do you think the TD should say to that player "Stop complaining , you were only a 60% favorite anyway". I guess so, because once the player started complaining they were obviously "not being professional", and were open to jokes and ridicule from the tournament director.

When you are in a position of power and responbility while running a poker tournament, you don't suddenly get to shed that responsibility because one of the players is doing something that you think is silly.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paul Maxfield isn't Dutch. Would you consider it unprofessional if a fellow player had done the same thing (announcing a false card to the all-in player who isn't looking). One of last year's WSOP minor events on ESPN had someone do that in jest.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the first one when James Vogl won. David Chiu did it to one of the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the other Asian in the hand was a friend of Chiu's (according to Norm).

[/ QUOTE ]

I just dont think it matters. There may be other players at the table who are playing for so much money that it could change their lives overnight. They might not enjoy seeing the Tournament Director make a joke about the river card as though the event is not really important.

A director of a major poker tournament should be as professional as possible at all times. I don't see how you can even argue with this? Do you see major league umpires saying "STRIKE 3!! Just kidding it was a ball"
Old 09-30-2005, 11:36 PM

I agree, don't think the TD should be joking like that, but I can understand two players who are friends jopking with each other.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 PM

I agree that this is fine. I just don't think the person who is in charge of running the tournament should do so. It just doesn't look good.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't make a show of it yourself, by closing your eyes, if you're can't handle other people making a show of it, with jokes.

By closing his eyes, this player ended any pretense of 'professionalism' for that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break, its not the tournament directors spot to say what is proper and what isnt. Why the hell cant a player close his or her eyes if they want to?

When someone complains after a bad beat, do you think the TD should say to that player "Stop complaining , you were only a 60% favorite anyway". I guess so, because once the player started complaining they were obviously "not being professional", and were open to jokes and ridicule from the tournament director.

When you are in a position of power and responbility while running a poker tournament, you don't suddenly get to shed that responsibility because one of the players is doing something that you think is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Unless the tourney director both knows the player well and knows he's okay with such a move, I think it's completely unprofessional.

Not only that, it could seriously change the mindset of the player and make him play worse in the tournament. That's simply not fair.

And anyone that doesn't think a player should be scared of the cards to come is, IMO, lacking compassion.