Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Critique this Pts System. Modified Cardplayer POY criteria .

Trying to implement a Player of the year rankings to my weekly tournament. I took the Cardplayer POY criteria and modified it to fit my game. Would like to hear opinions, suggestions.

As a reference games are NLHE tournaments ranging from 5-15 players, $25 buyin and $15 rebuys.

There are three criteria when calculating points:

1. Amount of the buy-in
2. Number of entrants
3. Place finished at the final table.
Note: If there is a tie between two or more players, each receives the average number of points available. For example, if two players tie for ninth place, each receives half of the ninth-place points.

Total points are calculated by multiplying the point factors of the three criteria:

Place finished - first place receives 120 points; second place, 100; third place, 80; fourth place, 60; fifth place, 50; sixth place, 40; seventh place, 30; eighth place, 20; ninth place, 10;

Buy-ins - $1- $10 = 1 point , $11-$15 = 1.5 points, $16-$20 = 2 points, $21-25 = 2.5 points, $26-$30 =3 points, $31-$35 =3.5 points, $36-$40 =4 points, $41 and higher = 4.5 points. The buy-in in rebuy tournaments is calculated by dividing the total gross prize pool by the number of entrants. (For example in a 10 person, $25 buy in tournament if 6 people rebuyed for $15 each, the prize pool would be $340/10 player = $34)

Number of entrants - 2- 4 = 1 point. Every additional number of entrants increases the number of points by 0.25. The maximum number of points is 4. Examples are: 4 players = 1 point, 6 players = 1.5 points, 10 players = 2.5 points, and 16+ players = 4 points.

Here is a hypothetical total point calculation example: You finished in Fifth place in a $25 buy-in event that had 10 entrants. You receive 50 points for fifth place; the buy-in is $25, which is a 3-point event; and there are 10 entrants, which is good for 2.5 points. Thus, you receive 375 total points (50 x 3 x 2.5 = 375).
Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Critique this Pts System. Modified Cardplayer POY criteria .

Too complicated.

I wish cardplayer used a formula so it could easily be applied to any tournament no matter what the buy in, etc.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 09-30-2005, 01:09 AM

I know there are variables in this formula but i think it would make it fairer. You don't think players should be rewarded more points for winning bigger buy in events?

Or how about this example:
Week 1- a bunch people don't show up, Player A wins a 5 person Tournament.
Week 2- Player B wins a 12 person tournament.

Should Player A and Player B be tied at the top of the leaderboard. Don't know if i agree with that.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:26 AM

I do think players should be rewarded more for larger events.

Let me clarify. I wish cardplayer used a standard formula that could be applied to any buy in without having to specify things like 1-10 buy in = 1 point, etc.. Someting like these:

http://www.tourney.com/about-tournament-poker.html
http://www.northjerseypoker.com/info...es_regs_v4.pdf

These forumals can be applied to any tourney no matter what the buy in range.

For my own league, I use the simple reverse points based on the number of players in the tourney.

steve
<font color="orange">North Shore Low Rollers</font>
Old 09-30-2005, 10:07 AM

Here's my suggestion.

1st place = 10 pts x N (N=number of players)
2nd place = 7 pts x N
3rd place = 5 pts x N
4th place = 4 pts x N
5th place = 3 pts x N
6th place = 2 pts x N
7th place and down = one point less than the finisher above.

For 10 players, it would pay out 100-70-50-40-30-20-19-18-17-16. For 20 players, it would pay out 200-140-100-80-60-40-39-38-37-36 (and so on down to 26 points). The reason to not include buy-in amount is because, for a home game, the amount of buy-in will not affect the skill level of the players. And really, they're already rewarded for winning a higher-level game through a higher payout, right?

An alternate easier method would be for 7th place through the rest of the final table to get N points, but that is counter to one of the most important axioms in poker: keep the fish happy. If you have a few uberfish that are usually quick to bust out, you might be able to raise their competitive side (i.e. get them to become regulars) because after six games they've each accumulated over 100 points and are really close to each other in the standings!

If I had one last suggestion, on the last night of the season, hold a low-buyin tournament with rebuys, with rebuys counting towards N. That will raise the number of points available on the last night, plus you might be able to attract more people with the low buy-in (meaning even more points!) This way, even if you have a runaway leader, he is still vulnerable at the last night...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM

1st place = 10 pts x N (N=number of players)
2nd place = 7 pts x N
3rd place = 5 pts x N
4th place = 4 pts x N
5th place = 3 pts x N
6th place = 2 pts x N
7th place and down = one point less than the finisher above.

We used something similar for awhile but it didn't work that well because of the multiplier.

For example if we had a 50 player tournament the winner had 500 points for one event. Since most of our games are 10 player tourneys Player "B" would have to win 5 of these tournaments to equal Player "A" points and I would argue that it is harder to win 5 ten player tournaments than it is to win 1 50 player tournament.

IMO
Old 09-30-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We used something similar for awhile but it didn't work that well because of the multiplier.

For example if we had a 50 player tournament the winner had 500 points for one event. Since most of our games are 10 player tourneys Player "B" would have to win 5 of these tournaments to equal Player "A" points and I would argue that it is harder to win 5 ten player tournaments than it is to win 1 50 player tournament.

IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

How realistic is it that your tournament, which has about 10 people regularly attending will suddenly have 50 once? This is a highly unrealistic example -- take any idea to the extremes and you can find fault with it.

Nonetheless, you have a valid critique. Any point system is going to have its problems. A system with a straight payout has two problems: the guy who wins a 10-handed tourney will have the same number of points as the guy who wins a 50-handed tourney, and there is the distinct possibility of a meaningless final event.

For an example of the latter, this year's Formula One (racing) World Driver's Championship has been decided with two races yet to go. Imagine what that could do to your home series!

What should be remembered is that a point system is only meant to be an objective measuring stick of performance over a specified timeframe. You cannot expect that a series of ten tournaments over as many weeks will determine who the best player in your game is, but you can say that player X did best in series 1 and player Y did best in series 2. Likewise, we want to make sure that the point system is objective, fair, and reasonably simple. You can design your point system and poker season to be objective, fair, and reasonably simple while still making sure that the final event is the most important event -- and that is something that this point system suggestion (and suggestion for a final event) seeks to address.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to implement a Player of the year rankings to my weekly tournament. I took the Cardplayer POY criteria and modified it to fit my game. Would like to hear opinions, suggestions.

As a reference games are NLHE tournaments ranging from 5-15 players, $25 buyin and $15 rebuys.

There are three criteria when calculating points:

1. Amount of the buy-in
2. Number of entrants
3. Place finished at the final table.
Note: If there is a tie between two or more players,
&lt;snip&gt;

Thus, you receive 375 total points (50 x 3 x 2.5 = 375).

[/ QUOTE ]

You work for the IRS, don't you?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
seriously tho- it seems a little overly complex.

I designed our scoring system with several basic considerations. I wanted it to be reasonably scalable for different size tournouts- we get anywhere from 10 to 20 (and I anticipate it may go higher). Less than 10 is deemed to be an 'unsanctioned' event, and not part of our season.

So, first, a reverse scale.
Second, extra points for the top few finishers
Third, a knockout bonus just to add some flavor.

The knockout bonus is 1 point for each person you take out. We use special chips, and when you're all in, you put a bounty chip in the pot. Winner of the pot gets the chip.

But I didn't want the knockout bonus to be weighted quite as much as a position, so we doubled the position points- ie, for N players, 1st is N*2, last is 2.

The money bonus is 10% of the $$ you win. Our tourneys are 10 buyins (+1 rebuy), so 1st place usually gets about $150 which means 15 bonus points.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I had the same question a month ago. It is pretty good to system. We decided to add a $1000 chip add-on for $20 before the final tourney starts to sweeten the pot. The purse is up to around $400 with 1 week to go. It should be around $700 with 11 or 12 in the final tourney. It's a good system, but it can be tweaked to whatever you're looking for (see below).

4 Consecutive Weeks
Maximum of 2 Tournaments per Night
$5 extra per tournament to Earn Points (Qualify)

Qualifying
1. Players must announce at beginning of tournament their intention to qualify.
2. Players may opt not to qualify for a tournament – they will earn 0 points.
3. Players, who announce nothing, will be excluded from qualifying.
4. A player may opt not to attend a night – they will earn 0 points.

Earning Points
1. Points are earned only if you’ve paid the $5 qualifier fee.
2. Points will be earned for finishing positions.
3. If there are 10 players in a tournament, 1st place earns 10 points, 2nd place earns 9 points … last place earns 1 pt.

Point Values
1. All players who earn points make the final tournament.
2. At the end of 4 weeks, each point earned will translate into $50 in chips (for example 28 points=$1400 in chips, 80 points=$4000 in chips).

Final Tournament
1. Seats and Button will be drawn at Random (by drawing cards).
2. Tournament purse will consist of all qualifying money.
3. Final payout will be determined by how many players qualify for the tournament.