Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 12:30 AM

Default limping in under the gun with suited broadway

Villian seems to be sort of a tag. I've played about three orbits with him. Picks his places and attacks. Nothing real trickey, just kinda plays by the book. One thing i have noticed is he's really loose in the blinds. I've seen him play 98o and KTo in SB. Should I have capped the flop?
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (11 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 10-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: limping in under the gun with suited broadway

Playing 9/8 and K/10 from the small blind isn't super-loose, so long as the pot was unraised.

Hell, yes, bet the turn. You're beaten only by a better flush, and if he has just the naked A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], charge him the max to hit it.

I think I just check behind the river. You won't make him fold a better hand, and if he has outdrawn you with a higher single spade, he'll checkraise you every time. This is much more likely than him paying you off with a worse hand.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I just check behind the river. You won't make him fold a better hand, and if he has outdrawn you with a higher single spade, he'll checkraise you every time. This is much more likely than him paying you off with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
nah, he can have a lot of worse hands, and hero should be betting this river. calling the river check raise, however, is bad against a straightforward tag.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nah, he can have a lot of worse hands, and hero should be betting this river. calling the river check raise, however, is bad against a straightforward tag.

[/ QUOTE ]
But like you said, he could have a lot worse hands. How could I possibly fold this?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I just check behind the river.

[/ QUOTE ]nah, he can have a lot of worse hands... calling the river check raise, however, is bad against a straightforward tag.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if betting is a good idea. After three orbits, you can't know your opponent well enough to be really confident about folding to a checkraise. But your're probably beat a good 80% of the time, maybe more.

By betting the most you will win is one more bet and many times you won't get called. By betting, you can lose two bets unless you fold. I can't fold this third nut flush getting 14:1.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 AM

how do you possibly come up with 80% of the time im beat? the only cards that beat me are A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Old 10-01-2005, 01:37 AM

I think even more than 80%
Old 10-01-2005, 01:38 AM

I don't see why you didn't cap the flop. Even against AA sometimes you get the free card on the turn.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:39 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I bet the river. Actually, yes I always bet that river, but I don't know if it's a mistake to do so. I do know however, that calling the check-raise is very bad. It wouldn't be AS bad, except you have the Q and the J, and the T is on the board. I can't imagine anyone check-raising this river with a 9-hi flush, or even a set of tens often enough to make you want to call this.

If villian bets out on the river though, I'd call.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:48 AM

You make a very good point about the 9 high flush. I was thinking that the call wasn't all that bad, but hero really should have folded to this c/r against all but the most blufftacular of opponents. Against a TAG, I don't think a river bet has much value. Terrible opponents, sure, but a straightforward TAG won't call w/o a spade, and the way he's been playing this hand, he probably has a good one.