Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 05:05 PM

Default OT: scammed on ebay

(Background, putting on flame suit: Someone asked about how I was scammed on eBay and I meant to reply to their post. Two people also PM'ed me asking about it, so I tried to reply to the post but I can't find my post now, so I'm replying here.)

So, I recently got ripped off on eBay, bought a product, the guy said he shipped it but didn't, 2 weeks later, I emailed him, he said his dad died and he was overwhelmed with personal issues and that he'd mail it tomorrow. A week later, nothing. Then I filed a claim with PayPal, PayPal requested a tracking number from him to prove he shipped it, so he gave PayPal a fake tracking number. Then PayPal tried to collect what I paid him, but he cleared his PayPal account.

His feedback on Ebay was 13 or so, he ripped off me and another person, so he has two negative feedbacks now. It seems he signed up for PayPal/Ebay, bought a few things, then scammed and didn't care that his two accounts were closed. I have his address/number, but it's just not worth it pursuing this any further.

Advice for potential eBayers. CHECK FEEDBACK! Only buy from users who have a lot of feedback (I'd say 50+ mostly positive feedbacks at LEAST, and at most 1% negative feedbacks, or so). Pay using a credit card or PayPal, do NOT send cash or a cashier's check. Accept payment with PayPal! If you take a check, even a cashier's check, wait 10 days and MAKE SURE the money is in your bank account after deposit. I had a friend get ripped of over a grand with a counterfeit cashier's check.

Keep in mind, no matter how low, how incredibly "con"-like and unbelievable something is, even if you think no one would con someone like that, people will. They think of any way to con/lie to you. "Father died" is fair game, do NOT feel pity. If you buy something, you deserve the merchandise or your money back, no questions asked. It doesn't matter if they are sick, lost their job, etc... You just DO NOT know if they are telling the truth, and even if they are, that is no excuse to rip you off!

- Tony
Old 09-24-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: OT: scammed on ebay

another good tactic i use: look at a few of the items the person has bought. most cons will go around looking for items for under $1 with no shipping to build up their feedback. common choices are recipe cards, for example.

if the person has only made under $1 purchases, it would be a good idea to steer clear.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:08 AM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/957191.asp?vts=092420032030

Even high feedback isn't always a safe play as this article explains. I just don't understand why you would ever buy something expensive 800$+ on ebay. The chance to get ripped off is just too high. It's easy to do, with little chance of getting caught, so you know a lot of people have to be doing it.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:41 AM

Give me his address, Ill take care of it for you.

Go ask Kobe Bryant.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:05 PM

Or, just use a third party clearing house for expensive items. A place that you send your purchase money to, and they won't give it to the seller until you have your item.

It's easy to get scammed on eBay, but it's also easy to prevent getting scammed.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:09 PM

You have to look out for those to. Most scams involve a phony 3rd party "security clearinghouse".
Old 09-25-2003, 02:42 PM

I've bought and sold items that were > $800 on ebay with no issues whatsoever. There's no other good place to buy or sell used audio gear. Trying to sell a set of Genelec monitors locally, as an example, could be mighty difficult. Selling them on Ebay just takes a few minutes with a digital camera and a few more clicking through eaby.

I know that you can be scammed, as at least one of my friends has been scammed, but that can happen anywhere. If you're really concerned about it, use an escrow service.

The best thing to do if scammed on ebay is to file a police report. You'll probably never get your money back, but there's a very real chance that you'll eventually get a letter or a phone call letting you know that the guy who stole your money is in prison.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:59 PM

Just make sure you use a real escrow service. There about 100 phony escrow scam websites.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:17 PM

THanks for the info Tony. Sorry to hear about the scam. Hope it wasn't a lot of money.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:17 PM

The previous time I was ripped off, I managed to get my money back. Took a year, lots and LOTS of faxed documents to the authorities, but finally, the person who scammed me brought to court, and I got a NICE NICE CHECK from the Las Vegas courts for the amount I was ripped off of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

His name is Scott Bensyl, if anyone wants to groups.google.com him. So, justice CAN be served. I filed reports with the Postal Inspector, and the local Las Vegas police. It was the local LV police that finally took up the case, many many people contacted him. I talked to him too, and apparently he's not the one who's supposed to take care of it, since the crime was interstate.

- Tony