Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 11:59 AM

Default What would you do?

First of all, this isn't a post about a bad beat. Sometimes people suck out on you, crap happens.

I was playing in a multi-table tourny on Stars the other night, 1250+ entrants. Tourny payed 99 places. I made it to the last 115 players with approximately 18,000 in chips, 42nd place at that time. I was excited about the probability of finishing in the money, as I have only played in a handful of tournaments and had never finished better than 150th.

I am in late position, and get KK. All folds until the player to my right who calls (800). I immediately raise to 3200, both blinds fold, and player to my right thinks for a few seconds, then calls (I have him covered by about 500). I have played the entire tournament with this player on my right, and he has always played very quickly, without hesitation, so I figure he has something like JJ. Flop comes 626 (suits are irrelevent). He bets 1600, I raise all in, he calls and shows TT. Turn is a T, river is a rag and I am left with 500 and don't make it to the money.

My question is this, should I have played more conservatively, hoping to finish in the money, or did I play it correctly, trying to maximize my stack with a great hand?

CCass
Old 09-24-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Re: What would you do?

I'd have raised a little harder preflop say T5000.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:49 PM

You played it fine.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:03 PM

I think you played the hand great - your opponent had all his chips after the flop when you were a huge favorite to win. Its not really your fault or any knock on your play that he hits a two-outer to beat you.

I think your only dilemna is.. do you want to finish in the money or try to win the tournament?

Im not saying that folding postflop is a good play at all, but if you want to finish in the money (especially your first time), you could fold here. However, if you win this hand you have T36,000 and are a lot higher than 42nd place.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:07 PM

probably I would shove all-in pre-flop. I would hate the beat but I like the hand. Sometimes however I may just call pre-flop and shove to any flop. That means ANY flop. Being able to push after a flop makes a difference at times. more able to protect a hand. Too often tho I think a player with pocket 10's will call all-in pre-flop, and on any board where they have over pair.

Today I got lucky once. Final 4, 4th place pays 350, 3rd 500 2nd 1000, 1st 1500. I shove all-in in SB with 66. I like this against a BB only, 4 handed. He says he has KK and obviously call for all his chips. Needless to say I got lucky and caught a 6. ended up 2nd for event. Play solid you will get there.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:07 PM

You got someone to call off all their chips to you as something like a 9-1 dog. He hit his miracle two outer. That's poker. You played it fine.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:49 PM

This is an excellent point.

I've played several of these MT tourneys, and finished in the money a few times. The problem is, with a $1-$3 buy-in (which I imagine this is), you don't see much money at all until the final table. You can play conservatively and shoot for a $1-2 payoff, or you can go for broke and maybe hit the $200-$900 prizes.

If getting into the money is the most important thing to you, "Sit Out" until you get to the money and then start playing. If getting the highest return is what you're looking for, you played this hand perfectly.

In my mind, finishing 115 vs. 99 is the same. Refunding my initial $1 or $3 buy-in is not that important to me. Having a GOOD shot at the $900+ prize is.

Good luck to ya.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:48 PM

That was the delima I faced, and I decided that a big win on this particular hand would greatly enhance my chances at a top finish. I agree with you, 115th or 99th is basically the same.

I just wanted to see if others felt that way also.

CCass
Old 09-24-2003, 05:30 PM

I'll throw in the lone voice of (possible, though not likely!) dissension. I'll have to go back and re-read TPFAP to see what kinds of exceptions there are to the rule "Dont face off against other big stacks".

How many times can you afford to risk all or most of your stack, even as a 2 or 3/1 favorite? Vacuuming up small pots is a much safer way to move up into the real money, unless you have the nuts.

Sitting in your place I probably would have done the same thing, and cursed myself for it, saying "where is that damn book".
Old 09-24-2003, 07:19 PM

I've had the same suckage happen just before cash round as well.
I admit I tighten the belt a lot when it's 20 places to cash and I am in decent spot, but KK you played fine and you have to, you might not see them again!

I went through 4.5 hours of live tourney and never saw KK or AA, and that fact still irks me because I missed money by 6 spots, I really only needed one more good pot to survive I think to 10th place, irritated more though that even with 220 people only top 10 gets anything.

-t