Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: A little reality check poll here....

[ QUOTE ]
DC Bans all firearms for use in the district and is the murder capital of America. DC has only garrenteed the possession of usable firearm to criminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but according to the DC Government it’s all the fault of us here rednecks in Virginia [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 PM

I support banning the sale of automatic weapons or those that weapons that could easily be converted to automatic weapons (I dont know much about this process though). Can anyone come up with a legitimate reason that it is important not to ban automatic weapons w/o giving me some slippery slop bs?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I wish to restrict the sale of firearms to minors (under 18) and felons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already illegal – GCA 68

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... But gun control should end there. Those are probably the only two issues that need to be enforced along with any crime comitted with the help of firearms.

We could save a lot of money and lives if we just enforced the use of GUNS in CRIME and not their mere possession.

-Gryph
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't see that there is a principled distinction between an automatic weapon and one that isn't an automatic. One could argue that the onus is on those wanting to regulate to come up with a legitimate reason to distinguish the two, not the other way around.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:05 PM

Gryph,

I think your problem here is that you are attempting to inject facts and logic into a process thats largely driven by feelings, perceptions and sound bites.

The so-called "assault weapons ban" was hardly that. Real assault/automatic weapons are already illegal. The recently expired assault weapons ban was more like a "ooh, those look scary lets ban those" ban.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I support banning the sale of automatic weapons or those that weapons that could easily be converted to automatic weapons (I dont know much about this process though). Can anyone come up with a legitimate reason that it is important not to ban automatic weapons w/o giving me some slippery slop bs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this Link on Automatic Weapons

Whether you would like to do it yourself or not, people find the recreational shooting of fully automatic weapons to be fun and enjoyable. That is a good enough reason for me.

Also if you believe the 2nd Amendments and the framer's mindset and the finding of Miller v. US that an armed citizenry is the greatest balance to liberty. It would seem only fair that private law abiding citizens be allowed to own automatic firearms. The government has nothing to fear from a lawabiding armed citizenry.

Seeing as 1/2 of all crimes in the last 70 year with legally owned automatic weapons were committed by a government representative (i.e. police), I don't trust the government's judgement on whether or not I can own automatic firearms.

-Gryph
Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also if you believe the 2nd Amendments and the framer's mindset and the finding of Miller v. US that an armed citizenry is the greatest balance to liberty. It would seem only fair that private law abiding citizens be allowed to own automatic firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should private citizens be able to own nuclear devices? Why/why not?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also if you believe the 2nd Amendments and the framer's mindset and the finding of Miller v. US that an armed citizenry is the greatest balance to liberty. It would seem only fair that private law abiding citizens be allowed to own automatic firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A law abiding citizen owning a nuclear device? I got nothing to fear from them. Now I will insist that the storage be regulated so that my dog doesn't grow two heads. Or godzilla is created in my neighbor's backyard.

You could argue that nuclear items and\or bombs are indiscriminate in their use and therefore should be restricted. But just like it is illegal to blindfold youself and start shooting in all directions because of negligence and indistriminate nature of the use, so is the improper use of a nuclear or explosive device.

Honestly, you trust the government with nuclear weapons and they are people like you and me. In fact, we might be more intelligent and\or educated then them.

-Gryph
Old 09-29-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gryph,

I think your problem here is that you are attempting to inject facts and logic into a process thats largely driven by feelings, perceptions and sound bites.

The so-called "assault weapons ban" was hardly that. Real assault/automatic weapons are already illegal. The recently expired assault weapons ban was more like a "ooh, those look scary lets ban those" ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats really the case then why does the Democratic party keep impaling itself on the gun control issue? Aren't they smart enough to figure out it doesn't pole well?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A law abiding citizen owning a nuclear device? I got nothing to fear from them. Now I will insist that the storage be regulated so that my dog doesn't grow two heads. Or godzilla is created in my neighbor's backyard.

You could argue that nuclear items and\or bombs are indiscriminate in their use and therefore should be restricted. But just like it is illegal to blindfold youself and start shooting in all directions because of negligence and indistriminate nature of the use, so is the improper use of a nuclear or explosive device.

Honestly, you trust the government with nuclear weapons and they are people like you and me. In fact, we might be more intelligent and\or educated then them.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just plain retarded. What happens when someone builds a nuke and holds New York city hostage for 20 billion dollars a day? If there possesion and production of nuclear weapons is legal than we cannot take action against them untill it is too late.