Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 08:05 PM

Default The Miracle Flop

When should you call with any two cards hoping to catch the miracle flop (two pair or better.) I'm not positive what the odds are, but it's 2% to flop two pair, 1.35% to flop trips, and very teeny % for full houses or quads. I know you can't just add those up, so I was figuring maybe 4% total. This is about 1 in 25 or so. Cut this in half for implied odds? Maybe 1 in 13 if you are closing the action?

Just curious...not like my games get those odds all the time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: The Miracle Flop

I consider myself too loose right now, but I don't think I'd ever call with any two cards hoping to hit a miracle flop regardless of the odds I'm given.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself too loose right now, but I don't think I'd ever call with any two cards hoping to hit a miracle flop regardless of the odds I'm given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I think you're making a mistake. Hell, even LEE JONES is completing with any two cards in a 2/3 blind structure. In that case, with even one limper, you're getting 8:1 but with ridiculously good implied odds because of how small the ":1" is. You stand to make up many, many thirds of a small bet postflop on that miracle.

In a 1/2 blind structure, "any two will do" starts looking decent at about 5 limpers if I only have to put in 1/2 a SB. On the button, I think I want a full 7 limpers before I consider it because of how large the initial investment is. Even then, I probably won't.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I think you're making a mistake. Hell, even LEE JONES is completing with any two cards in a 2/3 blind structure. In that case, with even one limper, you're getting 8:1 but with ridiculously good implied odds because of how small the ":1" is. You stand to make up many, many thirds of a small bet postflop on that miracle.

In a 1/2 blind structure, "any two will do" starts looking decent at about 5 limpers if I only have to put in 1/2 a SB. On the button, I think I want a full 7 limpers before I consider it because of how large the initial investment is. Even then, I probably won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's my improving (read poor) postflop play that keeps me out of these situations. I understand hitting my miracle and sucking up bets like a vacuum, but it's those times I get a piece and in turn get big pot syndrome and start calling multiple bets when I shouldn't.

That isn't to say that I don't understand that at times you need to feel uncomfortable post flop, and its natural, I just can't put myself in that position yet.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a 1/2 blind structure, "any two will do" starts looking decent at about 5 limpers if I only have to put in 1/2 a SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be better to complete with a total junk hand like 63 than a hand like J5. Flopping a pair of jacks can quickly lead to spewage if you're too aggressive postflop. Just be warned that some hands have reverse implied odds working against you.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:06 PM

too loose or just right?

PokerStars Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $5. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (13 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 09-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Waaaaaaay too loose for my tastes, but I play tighter than ML standard. You can't even rely on flopping 2 pair being a lock for you with that since it's so easily counterfeited. No flush potential to help you out either.

If I post and it's raised I'll generally call with whatever I'd limp with anyway, so from the CO I'd call with 54s, but not 53o.

Edit: doubly so if by posting you're implying that you don't have reads on anyone at the table.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:31 AM

I definitely fold, (the 53o) there. i consider it if its suited and with a better read on the table postflop.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:39 AM

That's just on the border for me. Actually, since you have position, you can probably get away with it. Since you're calling a full SB, your implied odds aren't quite as good, but it looks like you made up the deficit.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $5. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, Hero (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see... raiser... two cold callers... one post-caller... position... I think it adds up about right.

I like the flop raise with a rainbow flop, but not with a two suited flop.