Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: A A-hand.

There would be ~$100 in the pot on the river, I would probably push if he called my turn bet, because I'm not folding to a push.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There would be ~$100 in the pot on the river, I would probably push if he called my turn bet, because I'm not folding to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a bad way to think about it.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:38 AM

call teh river
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think hes folding KK-QQ or AJ on the river to a push?

Do you think hes not pushing if he has better than AA?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't exclude K K from his range either.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But would you hesitate pre-flop with Kings?
And wouldn't you raise the flop bet with Kings or Queens?
I don't think he has this hand unless he is extremely passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he took a long time to call does not offer much more insight on his possible holdings. It is equally plausible to suggest he had KK preflop and took a long time to consider reraising or just calling. He may have been multitabling or away from his computer, etc. I wouldn't narrow down his hand range based on the amount of time elapsed.

I agree that he probably is raising the flop w/ QQ or KK though.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think hes folding KK-QQ or AJ on the river to a push?

Do you think hes not pushing if he has better than AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

We havent seen a river, but if you routinely push because you have decided that you are prepared to go to the felt, then you are often losing out on giving your opponent the rope with which to hang himself. Checking and calling a big bet are just as effective, except he bets with a whole lot more hands than he calls with. He might well fold AJ to a push, but he might *value* bet it if you check. He certainly folds a busted draw to a push, but he might bluff it if you check it.

Sometimes you value bet push, but other times check/call is the best approach ... villain can only CALL with a real hand, but he can BET with anything.

Btw - Im not really speaking with regard to this particular hand, but rather to the general thought of "Im pushing, because Im sure as hell not folding to a push" ...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking and calling a big bet are just as effective, except he bets with a whole lot more hands than he calls with.

[/ QUOTE ]¨

This is of course very dependant on the situation. Opponent, board texture etc. In this situation, I'd prefer pushing the river since he'd most definately check behind with most of his range that I beat, i.e. KK-QQ, maybe A J.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Checking and calling a big bet are just as effective, except he bets with a whole lot more hands than he calls with.

[/ QUOTE ]¨

This is of course very dependant on the situation. Opponent, board texture etc. In this situation, I'd prefer pushing the river since he'd most definately check behind with most of his range that I beat, i.e. KK-QQ, maybe A J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely - but the reason is not "because Im sure as hell not folding to a push" ... the reason is that you expect to get value from KK/QQ/AJ/some other J often enough to make the bet +EV.

The difference is important.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Well I knew the difference, thanks for reminding us though, heh.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He only had $50 left after his turn bet so I say his [and your] all-in bets are inevitable.

I don't see how you can get away from this hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Pocket Jacks are unlikely since he hesitated to call your pre-flop bet (most people instant call with jacks hoping to land a set).
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7's are more likely than jacks, but not very likely.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Pocket 10's...nah, he would have dropped these on the flop.
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Forget J-10, there is no way he has that hand.

I'm thinking he was loosening-up (out of boredome) and was playing AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would people hesitate to call with pocket 7's to land a set but would call quickly with pocket jacks for the same reason.