Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: I quit live poker.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
After getting used to 250 hands/hour I cannot stand to play 15-20 hands per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Ive never played live and Im not sure Ill ever will either. 20 hands/hour ugh!
I see many advantages to playing online
* faster pace
* no travel time
* Better table selection
* Play any time you want
* Play which stakes you want. In a small club, there is normally one or two tables open, so you cant choose which stakes.
* Quit whenever you want. Of course you can quit after half an hour but the other guys at the table will think you as a prick.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After getting used to 250 hands/hour I cannot stand to play 15-20 hands per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Ive never played live and Im not sure Ill ever will either. 20 hands/hour ugh!
I see many advantages to playing online
* faster pace
* no travel time
* Better table selection
* Play any time you want
* Play which stakes you want. In a small club, there is normally one or two tables open, so you cant choose which stakes.
* Quit whenever you want. Of course you can quit after half an hour but the other guys at the table will think you as a prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the biggest bonus to never playing live! None of that horrible social interaction!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 PM

All of the reasons you mention are valid for online vs. live. The biggest reason you don't list:

Live players generally stink for the limits offered at B&amp;M [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

This has been discussed many times (levels of online compared to live, ie $.25/.50NL vs. $2/5 live).

If you have the bankroll you can overcome the travel, fewer hands/hr, tipping, etc. by waiting for bad players to make larger mistakes (not for $14.75 at the $25NL where I play online) but for $230 live. All it can take is one hand over a 3-4 hours session to make it all worth while.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm beginning to slow down my obsession.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting word you choose to use. Could it be that you are afraid that you are addicted to playing poker and you think that only playing online will lessen that addiction?

[/ QUOTE ]

Techincally this could reduce the number of hours he must dedicate to poker.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:59 PM

I'm not "addicted" in the clinical sense.. not by a long shot. I hardly study the game anymore and I play at most 5-10 hours per week and that is only for the first 2 weeks of the month when I clear bonuses...

I just don't want poker being such a large part of my life that I talk about it all the time.

I also get my fix MUCH better by playing 1 hour 5 tabling online than I do after 3 or 4 hours of playing live. What does this mean? I'm really not sure.. but I know the feeling of satisfaction is much more pronounced after multitabling.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:02 PM

putting an icon in their place.. AND the biggest bonus of it.. I play 5 tables so I don't much concentrate on the real addicts or giant losers.. I notice certain things.. but I am so busy interacting with other games I can't spend too much time thinking about it.

Also online there are sooo many players at the low stakes that I play that I rarely see the same people over and over again.. and I certainly have no human element w/ them. For all my brain knows I'm playing against a computer winnings virtual credits. No human element is awesome for me.

If I want social interaction while playing poker it will be while playing with my friends for FUN. social interaction at the card table as a thinking player frequently affects your win rate anyway
Old 09-27-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... social interaction at the card table as a thinking player frequently affects your win rate anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

That I can agree with, though probably not the way it was meant.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 PM

I see poker as a live game. Online poker is like playing 21 -- getting in hours. I'm tired of that game. Poker (to me) is not about hours, it's about picking games.

Quality of life = play poker a while, live a lot = Often times moving up in stakes = Have a BR

As you say, "While the players are CLEARLY worse live ..." -- Personal preference.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...social interaction at the card table as a thinking player frequently affects your win rate anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you brought this up. It's why I usually dislike playing B&amp;M games with people I know.