Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: >10% PFR. How do you manage it?

"Fold to me in the CO and do the same yet not quite as often and range is a BIT tighter (Q8, J9, low suited aces get folded,"

Folding a suited ace with the button and 2 OOP player remaining must be a mistake.

Also, when entering the pot at any position from UTG to button if the hand isn't good enough to open with don't play it. This idea should allow you to realize many hands need to be opened with more, and others folded more. Think about your options on the flop with that hand after you bring it in for a raise and the hands your opponents will call your open with.

You seem to be worried about being dominated by bigger aces, if you are aware of your image, your opponents calling standards, and have position I don't find this nearly as much of a problem as in full games.

Weak aces are one of the only hands I don't like to play for a raise. I like to keep the pots small with cards that tend to lose big pots and I like to benefit from my always raise image (this is the first time he limped, he has small PP or small SC)

If you have position on a limper and your hand is good enough to play, it's probably good enough to play for a raise. Again sometimes you might have an instance where you feel based on the specific limper and maybe a loose calling button that you can't raise a hand. If you cant use the raise to help you play your hand in position you can usually throw it away.

In changing your style you should come to a lot of instances where you would've limped in in the past or limped following a limper where you should be raising or folding. If you learn well from experience you will find what non-ABC raising hands work best for your game, and which work the least.

Lastly, an instance you didnt mention, but one that is my favorite. Players between me and the SB who are too weak-tight, and a SB or BB loose-passive fish.

Goodluck.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:49 PM

Striving for q certain PFR% is suicidal - it should be based on the game you find yourself in. If the table is full of Gus Hansen wannabe's raising suited connecors will get you killed as you post flop FE is too little and you're obviously not gonna hit your small pairs/Q8s/broadways well enough often enough to be betting them for value post-flop.

If the game is tight and most pre-flop raises are getting called in very isolated spots (if tey don't just downright take down the blinds), that's when you go into 1st gear and start raising the way you described. But it should depend very heavily on the game you find yourself in and the way you're percieved at the table.

Kirk
Old 09-28-2005, 05:16 AM

people limp call raises with tons of hands in our games

they also like to sometimes call 2nd turn bullets with underpairs

this can cause huge problems if youre trying to make reads and be aggressive

i think you need better reads on opponents, try downloading pokerace hud (an overlay of important tracker stats), getting the 6max player categories from the small stakes forum, and taking better notes about player tendencies

you HAVE to know the difference between players that will call the flop and fold the turn with weak hands, and the true stations

btw, try playing nondominated cute hands instead of junk broadway, this lets you win the occassional monster pot and go trips under trips much less often