Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Pulled a Mike L.

5 handed 20/40. mediocre type limps utg, i raise on the button with AKo. Flop comes KQ8. He check calls. Turn 8 he check calls. River 9. He checks. He's exactly Jack Ten. I know it. I feel it. He wants to check-raise. But I have a good two pair. It's 5 handed. I have to bet, dammit. So I do. He check-raises. Damn, I hand read well - he does have JT and the voice in my head tells me to fold. I've been listening to lately and it's been working well. Why didn't I listen this time and check? Now what. Every part of my body is telling me to fold. It's gotta be the right play. But then my ego takes over and I want to prove myself right. I call. He shows JT and drags the pot. I hope I never do that again.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Pulled a Mike L.

Haha- I love it! But i hate when that happens when you feel it. I know exactly what your saying. Get em next time partner!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 PM

I do the same. The other day I actually asked the guy who check called two cold out of of sb on flop if he was gonna check raise me before I bet a 6629r board, but I felt I had to bet, because I had an overpair (KK) and there were 4 others in the pot. Of course he raised and I was left wishing I had gone with my read (especially since this was a disgustingly easy one to make). I guess the question is: which is worse? Him turning up a hand he would call with, or you paying off the check raise you were expecting against a predictable player? Its a tough spot.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM

This is solely to make you feel better from my morning session.

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

When he raised the turn, i knew he had JQ. But of course i have to 3 bet with the second nuts. When i capped i knew the move was to fold, because he had JQ. On the river, the c/c should have been obvious since he had JQ. Alas, i suck so i bet called, and he had JQ. Fortunatley for me, i flopped bottom boat and won the biggest i have ever won in 2k NL today, so this hand really didnt matter. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM

Im interested in your gutshot lead into 2 opponents left to act and one behind you. Are you thinking they don't have an A or they would have raised PF? I do this into 1 opponent with 1 in the sb but is this very successful with that many players in the pot?
Thanks,
Donny
Old 09-27-2005, 07:58 PM

Today 15-30 Live. 1 horrible MP limper, 1 excellent regular in the Taj 75-150, 150-300 stud game slumming locally today limps on the button, decent SB completes. I've been cold decked yet again, playing tight and raise AJo from the BB. All call.

Flop Jd 6d 2x. I have the Ad and bet, horrible calls, button raises, SB fold, I 3 bet, horrible calls, button caps, we call. Damn. Set of 2's or 6's.

Turn Brick. Check, check, bet, call, fold.

River brick. Check/call. 66. NH

Letting go of TPTK is hard to do, even when you know he's not capping on a semi-bluff draw. I can read too. I still pay off too. Stupid.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 PM

I like the river bet, but against most "medicore" opponents I fold to the river check raise.

I don't think calling is that big of a mistake really. I'm also not saying it isn't, but I don't think it's anything to be too rash on oneself.

Lawrence
Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 PM

When gifted with good Spidey Sense, don't ignore it...

lf
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 PM

Default nope

nah this one is different. this one is not about ego, because ego wouldve led you to check the river.

ego calls are when your opponent puts in excessice action with a draw or weak hand and you have him just notched and then the draw you correctly put him on and charged him for gets there on the river and you call to prove you were right. calling down a fish who passively check-calls until the river with his straight draw and then plays you when he gets there does not at all qualify. it hurts your ego when you call here, it doesnt feed it.

if he had went 4 bets on the turn with JT and you had like pocket 5s and correctly charged him, and called the river to prove your read, then that's a mike l.