Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 01:09 PM

Default What\'s ...

your play, your reasons for doing so, and the considerations here?

No reads.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.90 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (0.95 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___[????]
Old 09-25-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: What\'s ...

I think this is a clear raise because you have no reason to believe you do not have the best hand here.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:33 PM

I'd figure him for a 3 flush as he starting hand, and pop it.

I bet DocAZ would have a few good thoughts on this, but you drove him outta town.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:18 PM

A straight is a real possiblity, but in the absence of a better read, I think his bet is a likely bluff where he hopes to steal the pot, given that the pot size is so small. I would raise.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 PM

Raise. To eliminate the third player, and because I'm likely to be ahead. Many players would bet an open-ended on fourth, having been checked to by the only other player voluntarily in the pot, so the main villain is less likely to have the straight. Not sure what the other player has, so I'd like him out if possible.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:42 PM

Overall I agree that you should probably raise, but it's not as clear as you might think. For one thing, the pot is tiny, so there's a lot less need to raise to drive the 3rd guy out. And if you ARE beat, you're fighting for a tiny pot. Still, in general you should be ahead and should charge the other player to try to catch up.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 AM

GRB, you asked me to reply to this post, but really I said what I think in the other thread. Essentially the pot is tiny, so a fold is fine against an "average" player who is going to be betting with two pair or better here. However, I understand calling down as well -- just remember your odds to call through the river here are only 5-3 (assuming the other guy folds), so you really aren't getting a big overlay. Nonetheless, as I said in my post, against either a fish or a strong player, I will call. I just don't see enough value or folding equity to justify a raise in any scenario.