Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 AM

Default PP 100 NL 6 max: HUP KK, strong action on rag flop

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero ($103.90)
BB ($90.20)
UTG ($99)
MP ($188.24)
Button ($85.60)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $4.

Flop: ($11) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, MP calls $167.24 (All-In)

No reads/tells.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Re: PP 100 NL 6 max: HUP KK, strong action on rag flop

I'd be inclined to lay this down without a further read. Basically he's representing a hand that has a pair beat.

I wouldn't rely on him having A9 or TT JJ (i've even once seen QQ limp call preflop), or a flushdraw, here. I'd need to have a read on him for that.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 AM

Fold. Don't get stacked with one pair is usually solid advice. You raised preflop, so you could theoretically have aces here. He's still pushing. You gots to let it go. Could be a set, in which case you're a big dog. Ah9h, you are behind. Ah4h and Ah5h you are behind. Ahxh you're slightly ahead. You are just behind most of the hands he could be doing this with. His minraise screams flush draw, check to me on the turn. You're only 53.7% favorite over an acehigh flush draw. Add in all the times you are way behind, or slightly behind, you should fold.

(BTW, 3-bet minraise on the flop is useless)
Old 09-27-2005, 04:17 AM

Should I just call? I almost folded to his min-raise but then raised because I thought I'd gain information that way. Was I totally wrong? Plan was to fold if Villain pushes but if he just calls we might get a check-check showdown he showing me A9, TT, JJ, QQ or a bluff.

Usually min-raises are made with a near lock hands. I strongly suspected pair of nines because villain took some time preflop thinking about calling/raising (just a hunch, not a real read). If I just call on the flop it's very tempting to call "small" bets (1/3-1/2 pot for example) on turn and river.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually min-raises are made with a near lock hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not always. You raised p/f. A minraise here can be used to pick off a continuation bet. It's also very common to minraise with a flush draw, hoping to get checked to on the turn, so that villian can check behind and get two free cards. I think you are giving too much away here to a flush draw by minraising to get info. A good player here knows the odds and will push, because you shouldn't be calling him without a set there, and so he has alot of FE. If you just call the minraise, and no heart comes, now you are a favorite over his range of hands with only one card to come.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:43 AM

That's so very true. I should just call and bet the turn. How simple. This was a great poker day for me. I decided to raise the flop and fold to a push. You know what? I didn't fold, I called although I had been screaming "99, 99, 99!" to myself. Very sad thing to not trust ones instincts. TILT! Villain showed me two nines.

This might be one of the most profitable days of my life. After this hand I started to look through the last 10k hands I have played and found fundamental mistakes on flop and river play that had cost me roughly 400$. Some situations were similar to this one. I won't make those mistakes anymore, ever.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:48 AM

even though I think what you say holds some merit, my experience is that a minraise is sooner a lock than anything else. Recently I'm not reraising minraises with a pair any more without a read of somekind that ensures me that my opponent is capable of raising draws or any kind of tricky move.