Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 11:22 AM

Default top 2 put to test

Pokerstars 1/2 6max

This is my first hand at the table. No read on UTG, I've played with CO before, he seems solid.

I ($200) am BB with 86s. UTG ($200) raises to $4, CO (covers)calls, I call.

Flop ($12): 864r

I check, UTG checks, CO bets $8, I raise to $25, UTG folds, CO re-raises to $70, I...

What's my move here? Also, should I bet out this flop? I was looking to catch UTG's continuation bet, which didn't happen, but I think maybe leading might be better.

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: top 2 put to test

I would consider folding. CO called the raise in late position indicating he has a hand that is worth calling, but if he misses he can get away from it easily. People love their small pairs to hit sets, if they miss they can just get away from it. His reraise is pretty strong. I would probably lead the flop for about 8 to see where everyone stands. Also why are you calling a raise from bad position with 2 low suited one gappers?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also why are you calling a raise from bad position with 2 low suited one gappers?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a minraise, I call these with lots of weird hands, esp. when I'm in the BB and only need to call $2 more with a hand that could win a large pot.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Anyone think this might be a poorly played overpair? A straight seems unlikely. 44 is the most likely thing that is ahead, right?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 PM

or 66
Old 09-26-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Results and thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone think this might be a poorly played overpair? A straight seems unlikely. 44 is the most likely thing that is ahead, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought a poorly-played overpair was possible, though this guy seemed decent. Also I figured it could be a set or the straight, with the set being more likely, or a pair+gutshot combo, (like 87s), not sure if this guy would play it that aggressively after my c/r though.

Anyways, I pushed (probably not a good decision), he thought forever and finally called with 66 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Any other thoughts on the best line to take here? If I think my hand is best, is calling then leading the turn better than pushing?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:03 AM

I would fold to the turn 3-bet, since you said he was solid (and I assume he thinks the same of you). He knows that you are calling preflop with a lot of stuff that connects with this board, and also is ahead of an overpair. So, he's probably not overplaying 99 or something in this spot.